Anyone had a positive experience of a Police and Crime Commisioner ?

Has anyone contacted our Police & Crime Commissioner (currently Alan Billings) and actually had any help ?

Does anyone know what they`re actually do, or even what they`re supposed to do ?

The reason I ask is I sent him an E Mail (asking why none of these anti-socially loud bikes and cars are ever prosecuted) and I had to wait a month to hear anything. Then, when I actually got a reply, it wasn`t even him, it was just a "caseworker". Most importantly of all I was told is was an operational matter and therefore nothing to do with the PCC ! So, if the police failing to prosecute people who break the law is nothing to do with him, what is the point of the Police & Crime Commissioner ? ! ?

A friend of mine runs a security company. Long established and very reputable. He tells me that he has written to four Chief Constables of SY. In more recent times he has written to the Commissioner.

I understand that these letters offer to supply security staff on a cost basis to SYP in times of crisis e.g. 2007 Floods.

He has never even received the courtesy of a reply to any of these letters.

The insularity and remoteness of the Police nationally and particularly SYP and its Commisssioner effectively isolates its friends, Its a shame.

Under the terms of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, PCCs must:

secure an efficient and effective police for their area;

appoint the Chief Constable, hold them to account for running the force, and if necessary dismiss them;

set the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan;

set the force budget and determine the precept;

contribute to the national and international policing capabilities set out by the Home Secretary; and

bring together community safety and criminal justice partners, to make sure local priorities are joined up.

If thats all your email said, then i can see why you go the answer you did because it was correct imo and that question ought to be fielded to the police.

A month isnt a long time for an email. better results in writing. Better still find out if he runs any surgeries and go in person.

http://www.southyorkshire-pcc.gov.uk/About/About-Your-PCC.aspx

Explains his role. theres also space on the website to put your qyerues to the police.

Under the terms of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, PCCs must:

secure an efficient and effective police for their area;

appoint the Chief Constable, hold them to account for running the force,

set the force budget and determine the precept;

contribute to the national and international policing capabilities set out by the Home Secretary; and

bring together community safety and criminal justice partners, to make sure local priorities are joined up.and if necessary dismiss them;

set the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan;

If thats all your email said, then i can see why you got the answer you did because it was correct imo and that question ought to be fielded to the police.

A month isnt a long time for an email. better results in writing. Better still find out if he runs any surgeries and go in person.

http://www.southyorkshire-pcc.gov.uk/About/About-Your-PCC.aspx

Explains his role. theres also space on the website to put your qyerues to the police.

Thanks for that info, but I have to disagree with you as per the answer I got.

Here for instance :

an efficient and effective police for their area

and

set the police and crime objectives

So how can never prosecuting people who are breaking the law fit with these ?

Thanks for that info, but I have to disagree with you as per the answer I got.

Here for instance :

an efficient and effective police for their area

and

set the police and crime objectives

So how can never prosecuting people who are breaking the law fit with these ?

Without seeing the correspindence its hard to judge. I think your approach may not have been the one needed and I would have tried a diffeent tact. Obviously the PCC is here to make sure the police plan is targeted at areas he feels reflect the conerns of the local community. Rather than ask why xyz isnt happening (which is ioperational) try rewriting and explainin your concerns about this type of incident. He has to balance it against other competing interests or approach the police directly to try and get an answer.

Make sure you are approaching the correct person in the right way.

A friend of mine runs a security company. Long established and very reputable. He tells me that he has written to four Chief Constables of SY. In more recent times he has written to the Commissioner.

I understand that these letters offer to supply security staff on a cost basis to SYP in times of crisis e.g. 2007 Floods.

He has never even received the courtesy of a reply to any of these letters.

The insularity and remoteness of the Police nationally and particularly SYP and its Commisssioner effectively isolates its friends, Its a shame.

I think the police have higher priorities than responding to unsolicited business letters.