Anyone had a positive experience of a Police and Crime Commisioner ?

But to answer the question posed in the title of the thread........

Yes. I have met the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner - Dr Alan Billings - and he was extremely thoughtful and helpful.

Thank you.

When you say he was helpful, in what way was he helpful ?

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 13:45 ----------

Has anyone contacted our Police & Crime Commissioner (currently Alan Billings) and actually had any help ?

Does anyone know what they`re actually do, or even what they`re supposed to do ?

The reason I ask is I sent him an E Mail (asking why none of these anti-socially loud bikes and cars are ever prosecuted) and I had to wait a month to hear anything. Then, when I actually got a reply, it wasn`t even him, it was just a "caseworker". Most importantly of all I was told is was an operational matter and therefore nothing to do with the PCC ! So, if the police failing to prosecute people who break the law is nothing to do with him, what is the point of the Police & Crime Commissioner ? ! ?

Under the terms of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, PCCs must:

secure an efficient and effective police for their area;

appoint the Chief Constable, hold them to account for running the force, and if necessary dismiss them;

set the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan;

set the force budget and determine the precept;

contribute to the national and international policing capabilities set out by the Home Secretary; and

bring together community safety and criminal justice partners, to make sure local priorities are joined up.

If thats all your email said, then i can see why you go the answer you did because it was correct imo and that question ought to be fielded to the police.

I`ve just remembered something here. When they had the first election for the PCC I wrote to all the candidates asking what they would do about deafeningly loud motorcycles and the fact the police never prosecute them. The only one to reply with a direct answer was (ironically) Shaun Wright ! If I`d bothered voting for a PCC (I always vote at general and council elections) I`d have voted for him ! ! Anyway, Mr Wright said that (if he got in) I could contact him with any specific example of a noisy bike which wasn`t being prosecuted and he`d follow it up. Are you saying he shouldn`t have offered that ? If not I really do wonder what the whole point of the PCCs is.....

Edited by Justin Smith

When you say he was helpful, in what way was he helpful ?

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 13:45 ----------

I`ve just remembered something here. When they had the first election for the PCC I wrote to all the candidates asking what they would do about deafeningly loud motorcycles and the fact the police never prosecute them. The only one to reply with a direct answer was (ironically) Shaun Wright ! If I`d bothered voting for a PCC (I always vote at general and council elections) I`d have voted for him ! ! Anyway, Mr Wright said that (if he got in) I could contact him with any specific example of a noisy bike which wasn`t being prosecuted and he`d follow it up. Are you saying he shouldn`t have offered that ? If not I really do wonder what the whole point of the PCCs is.....

Mr Billings was very thoughtful in the way in which he answered my questions honestly - there was no attempt at cover-up or spin - and he was helpful in advising me how I could pursue my particular concerns about police performance......... which I did.

From your posts, I can see that you are particularly perturbed about noisy cars and bikes and want the police to give higher priority to identifying and prosecuting the perpetrators.

I agree with you about how annoying noisy bikes can be - there is one that regularly wakes me between 01.00 and 03.00 as it thunders up the road. However - I suspect unlike you - I don't expect the police to give this a high priority at the moment.

I'd rather the police were prioritising burglars, those who assault children and the big villains behind cyber-crime.

Mr Billings was very thoughtful in the way in which he answered my questions honestly - there was no attempt at cover-up or spin - and he was helpful in advising me how I could pursue my particular concerns about police performance......... which I did.

From your posts, I can see that you are particularly perturbed about noisy cars and bikes and want the police to give higher priority to identifying and prosecuting the perpetrators.

I agree with you about how annoying noisy bikes can be - there is one that regularly wakes me between 01.00 and 03.00 as it thunders up the road. However - I suspect unlike you - I don't expect the police to give this a high priority at the moment.

I'd rather the police were prioritising burglars, those who assault children and the big villains behind cyber-crime.

Obviously catching burglars is far more important than prosecuting noisy motorbikes. But the fact is they really wouldn`t have to put much time into doing it, because :

A It doesn't take much doing finding a loud motorcyclist does it ? They could catch loads of them pretty quickly if they really tried. They just don`t try.

B Once it got about that you really could be prosecuted for a noisy exhaust I think far fewer bikers would have one.

C The fines would help pay for it anyway.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 16:11 ----------

Wow! So that was your only reason for writing to each candidate? Loud exhausts.

The thought of people having loud exhausts must cost you more sleep than the actual loud exhausts.

Remember...LOUD EXHAUSTS SAVE LIVES!

Err no they don`t, and I`m an ex motorcyclist. Anyone who is really interested in this can follow this argument here, this thread is "what is the point of PCCs ?"

Edited by Justin Smith

A friend of mine runs a security company. Long established and very reputable. He tells me that he has written to four Chief Constables of SY. In more recent times he has written to the Commissioner.

I understand that these letters offer to supply security staff on a cost basis to SYP in times of crisis e.g. 2007 Floods.

He has never even received the courtesy of a reply to any of these letters.

The insularity and remoteness of the Police nationally and particularly SYP and its Commisssioner effectively isolates its friends, Its a shame.

welcome back xenia :wave:

Obviously catching burglars is far more important than prosecuting noisy motorbikes. But the fact is they really wouldn`t have to put much time into doing it, because :

A It doesn't take much doing finding a loud motorcyclist does it ? They could catch loads of them pretty quickly if they really tried. They just don`t try.

B Once it got about that you really could be prosecuted for a noisy exhaust I think far fewer bikers would have one.

C The fines would help pay for it anyway.

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 16:11 ----------

Err no they don`t, and I`m an ex motorcyclist. Anyone who is really interested in this can follow this argument here, tbhis thread is "what is the point of PCCs ?"

It is, but you were the one that keeps banging on about your favourite subject.

[/b]

It is, but you were the one that keeps banging on about your favourite subject.

In the context of this thread it`s partially relevant in that this is a discussion of whether or not the PCC should get involved in the non prosecution of vehicles with illegally loud exhausts. And if that type of subject is not in their remit the obvious question is, what are they for ?

And it`s certainly not my favourite subject, it just annoys me that people can flout the law, batter my ear drums and/or wake me up (or my sleeping toddler) and the police do sod all about it.