Free Parking in Hospitals for carers

You would have thought that nurses, midwives and other life saving staff might get free, or at least discounted, parking in hospitals. Not so at the Royal Hallamshire or Jessops :(

Why??

There are thousands of employees across the city who have to pay for parking every day. there are thousands of employees across the city whl have no parking at all at their workplace.

Those nurses, midwives etc CHOOSE to drive to work so they should pay like everyone else. Why would being a nhs employee make you more special over any other. car parking is limited and quite rightly should be chargeable.

Why??

There are thousands of employees across the city who have to pay for parking every day. there are thousands of employees across the city whl have no parking at all at their workplace.

Those nurses, midwives etc CHOOSE to drive to work so they should pay like everyone else. Why would being a nhs employee make you more special over any other. car parking is limited and quite rightly should be chargeable.

Tell me what other option there is for hospital staff who work unsocial hours and shifts - leaving home and work when you and most others are tucked up warm in bed and the buses aren't running.

Also for those whose work involves 'on call' which takes them in and out of the hospital all all times of the day and night ?

NO - driving to work for many staff is NOT a choice but a necessity.

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 14:32 ----------

You would have thought that nurses, midwives and other life saving staff might get free, or at least discounted, parking in hospitals. Not so at the Royal Hallamshire or Jessops :(

Or NGH. The NGH has a staff parking permit system whereby the cost is taken out of our wages every month. You have to jump through hoops to get one and doesn't guarantee a parking space.

Edited by Daven

There is a system whereby if someone is visiting someone in hospital every day for a long period of time they can get some kind of reduction.

I'm told that the carer should speak with the Sister on the ward who will put them forward for one.

Tell me what other option there is for hospital staff who work unsocial hours and shifts - leaving home and work when you and most others are tucked up warm in bed and the buses aren't running.

Also for those whose work involves 'on call' which takes them in and out of the hospital all all times of the day and night ?

They can do the same as many many other shift and unsociable hours workers do.

Public transport runs to and from the hospitals up until around 11.30-midnight starting again from around 5.00am.

I don't know many shifts that stop half way though the night. Most will be in at least 10 or 12 hour blocks and there is very high chance that buses will be running. For those who really are unfortunate not to fit into those timings, perhaps they can change their hours is THEY don't want to pay for parking.

Its not rocket science and, as I say, lots of other shift workers cope perfectly fine. I ask again, why should health workers be seen as some protected party who deserve free parking more than others.

As for those "on call" then yes, I concede they should have some form of parking system but I suspect that's not too many. Hospitals usually have some form of shift consultant present during each pattern.

Edited by ECCOnoob

They can do the same as many many other shift and unsociable hours workers do.

Public transport runs to and from the hospitals up until around 11.30-midnight starting again from around 5.00am.

I don't know many shifts that stop half way though the night. Most will be in at least 10 or 12 hour blocks and there is very high chance that buses will be running. For those who really are unfortunate not to fit into those timings, perhaps they can change their hours is THEY don't want to pay for parking.

Its not rocket science and, as I say, lots of other shift workers cope perfectly fine. I ask again, why should health workers be seen as some protected party who deserve free parking more than others.

As for those "on call" then yes, I concede they should have some form of parking system but I suspect that's not too many. Hospitals usually have some form of shift consultant present during each pattern.

So when my shift ends at 22.00hrs (often later)and my next shift the following day begins at 07.00hrs you think it's unreasonable that I use my car ?

I live 8 miles from the NGH.

What is a 'shift consultant'?

Edited by Daven