Free Parking in Hospitals for carers

They will have received some sort of care allowance, how much that was I don't know but it wont have been a lot. In doing this they will have saved the taxpayer/local authority many thousands I'm sure.

Trying to solve a lack of decent care allowance by the use of free parking is ludicrous.

Just like giving pensioners freebies, just let people have some sort of 'fair' benefit.

You think that asking someone if they are a carer or if they need one is an insult? That's quite staggering. A carer is a great job to have, I used to be one for young adults with learning disabilities, primarily autism. And needing a carer shouldn't be something you look down on.

I am glad you do not need one now, but one day you may need a carer. It seems strange that you are posting seemingly in defence of carers, but consider it to be an insult to be confused with one.

I have never been here before, I am a member of digital spy and I Google someones username on there and came across this forum. I live in Sheffield so thought I'd sign up.

Well seeing as you're a member of digital spy you'll recognise the opening comment of someone when it was discussed on there:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It takes a special breed of arsehole to put so much time and effort into stopping another MP having the opportunity to simply debate an act of kindness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I have empathy for everyone. Hospital car parking has to be paid for. I don't see why carers should be singled out for subsidy when everyone else to pay - including Hospital employees in some cases.

At the Royal Hallamshire the staff have to pay £8 a day to park. So on a 5 day week that's £128 a month to park if you work a 5 day week.

At the Royal Hallamshire the staff have to pay £8 a day to park. So on a 5 day week that's £128 a month to park if you work a 5 day week.

I'd either charge everyone or charge nobody. Nobody goes to hospital for a laugh or a bit of shopping. You might have just lost a relative and you are walking out of hospital looking for change for parking.

Maybe season ticket type arrangements for carers/low paid staff (I'm not subsidising parking for consultants)

I'd either charge everyone or charge nobody. Nobody goes to hospital for a laugh or a bit of shopping. You might have just lost a relative and you are walking out of hospital looking for change for parking.

Maybe season ticket type arrangements for carers/low paid staff (I'm not subsidising parking for consultants)

The consultants have their own private underground car parking separate from the multi-storey car park.

It's also not correct that Blue Badge holders are allowed to park for free in some car parks in the UK while others have to pay . Just because someone has a Blue Badge doesn't mean they can't afford the car parking charges .

Couldn't agree more. My husband has a blue badge because he receives DLA. That allowance helps towards keeping him warm, comfortable etc. and for which we're very grateful (although wish he was fit and well and didn't need it). The blue badge helps us to often park closer to facilities which is also much appreciated. But as far as we're concerned, why should he get an allowance (more income) and then because of it get free parking. We believe the allowance helps us to afford to pay for parking and we always do pay.

You would have thought that a bill going through the Commons allowing carers, who save the taxpayer billions of pounds each year, free parking at hospital would have gone through Parliament without much of a fuss.

Not so.

Philip Davies, MP for Shipley, and proud 'anti political correctness' campaigner, has filibustered a bill which would have allowed carers free parking at their local hospital.

I hope his local party deselect him.

Here is a picture of him, with a placard saying "I pledge to speak up for carers in Parliament".

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/30/tory-mps-filibuster-blocks-bill-to-give-carers-free-hospital-parking

Especially when you think of all the freebies and perks that MPs get - massively reduced meals and drinks etc.

Nasty toerag.

You would have thought that nurses, midwives and other life saving staff might get free, or at least discounted, parking in hospitals. Not so at the Royal Hallamshire or Jessops :(

surely that's £160 a month:D

---------- Post added 01-11-2015 at 09:49 ----------

You would have thought that a bill going through the Commons allowing carers, who save the taxpayer billions of pounds each year, free parking at hospital would have gone through Parliament without much of a fuss.

Not so.

Philip Davies, MP for Shipley, and proud 'anti political correctness' campaigner, has filibustered a bill which would have allowed carers free parking at their local hospital.

I hope his local party deselect him.

Here is a picture of him, with a placard saying "I pledge to speak up for carers in Parliament".

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/30/tory-mps-filibuster-blocks-bill-to-give-carers-free-hospital-parking

Especially when you think of all the freebies and perks that MPs get - massively reduced meals and drinks etc.

Nasty toerag.

hes a tory what you expect :hihi: