[How] is this even legal?

No, they can withdraw the property from sale/the market and re-advertise with he correct information. This is not happening. The property is still advertised with the original price. This is misleading which is the essence of the Unfair Trading Regulations I quoted.

They aren't obliged to.

Not if the advertised price is just an invitation to treat.

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 14:22 ----------

OK, so put yourself in the landlord's position...

... if someone has made you a high offer, strings you along, and then decides to only offer you the original rent, are you then going to agree to take on that person as a tenant who has already demonstrated to you that they are a bit sneaky?

Especially when you've already had so much interest in the property at the original rent anyway?

I don't think many would, even if it was then the only offer on the table... :roll:

The point wasn't really to secure the property though, given that the landlord is messing about the OP would you want that person as your landlord?

Personally, I wouldn't touch an estate agent when renting a property...The whole concept in my view is 'sharp practice'...

If the estate agent is due to get a percentage for managing the property, then it's in their interests to squeeze as much money as they can from potential clients (renters)...So it may not be the landlord that's being awkward or greedy. In my experience, a landlord knows full well what the market rate for a given property is, and sets his rent accordingly. The estate agents are (in this case) it seems getting greedy. The landlord may know nothing about the bidding war the agents seems to have dreamed up.

When we called the agent to ask for the paperwork to make an application we were told that due to the popularity of the property the landlord had decided to ask everything interested what was the highest amount (above the advertised price) they were prepared to pay. In effect everyone interested has to now make a blind bid.

In Scotland that's how houses are sold. There's a guide price and then everyone who is interested puts in a sealed bid to be opened at the cut-off time. The results are legally binding for both the seller and buyer.

You can easily pay way over the second highest bid.

Hmm,

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations means you cannot mislead a consumer. This means leaving out important information, such as the need to bid for the property instead of what is advertised current (both a PCW and PW price). This would lead me to the conclusion what is happening is a breach of the Unfair Trading regulations.

let us know the outcome (if any)on the action you took about this agent apart from just putting a rant on Sheffield forum :roll:

Op are you prepared to do something about it and sue them?

Which trade body are they a member of? have you contacted them about possible breach of code of conduct?

Have you contacted trading standards?

No nothing yet. I'm considering speaking to the trade association but I cant find any reference to which the agent is a member of and the associations appear to have no means to search for members.

I'm tempted to send the landlord an invoice for wasted time and if they don't pay register through the small claims court. I know its probably going to get nowhere but if it educates at least one agent that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable and people will stand up for themselves, its a victory in my eye.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:27 ----------

let us know the outcome (if any)on the action you took about this agent apart from just putting a rant on Sheffield forum :roll:

Its not a rant, its a question, easily identified by the question mark at the end of the thread title :rolleyes:

So you're prepared to waste real money on a case you won't win in a claim for wasted time?

£30 to file a small claims court claim. Money well spent if it gives someone a wakeup call. by Nowhere I meant in relation to this house. Not in relation to the claim. I should have been more specific.

Sometimes people need to deal with issues instead of leaving it to the next person.

£30 to file a small claims court claim. Money well spent if it gives someone a wakeup call. by Nowhere I meant in relation to this house. Not in relation to the claim. I should have been more specific.

Sometimes people need to deal with issues instead of leaving it to the next person.

Good on you. Completely right. Too many people just shrug and ignore stuff like this. Seems unlikely you will get anywhere, but there was a case recently with a guy suing scam phone companies for his time and he won.