Help needed with Yorkshire water nuclear bunkers

Vertigo1

Out of the area in question but in 1999 I worked in the former Yorkshire Water bunker in Harrogate.

Below ground was being used as an archive of local council records and the building above ground was some sort of office for local education. At the time most of the equipment to suit its original purpose was still in place. The street level building was mostly of timber construction apart from the rear 25% or so which was brick and housed two Perkins diesel engines which drove the generator and air scrubbers. There was a 5000 gallon tank of red diesel in there too. Below ground was the living accommodation, kitchens, dormitory, showers, toilets etc and the plotting/reporting rooms. All communications equipment, wall charts etc were still present. Once a year a team of people would turn up and test the phones, generators etc. I was led to believe there was a bricked up tunnel which led to the fire station next door.

The building is still there at the corner of Grove Road and is now a school of some sort.

Out of the area in question but in 1999 I worked in the former Yorkshire Water bunker in Harrogate.

Below ground was being used as an archive of local council records and the building above ground was some sort of office for local education. At the time most of the equipment to suit its original purpose was still in place. The street level building was mostly of timber construction apart from the rear 25% or so which was brick and housed two Perkins diesel engines which drove the generator and air scrubbers. There was a 5000 gallon tank of red diesel in there too. Below ground was the living accommodation, kitchens, dormitory, showers, toilets etc and the plotting/reporting rooms. All communications equipment, wall charts etc were still present. Once a year a team of people would turn up and test the phones, generators etc. I was led to believe there was a bricked up tunnel which led to the fire station next door.

The building is still there at the corner of Grove Road and is now a school of some sort.

Brilliant. Thank you. After speaking to yw they think the buildings I'm in about are at langsett etc. They can't be sure as all records are destroyed after 15 years. Many thanks for your reply.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/h/harrogate_cd_centre/index.html

A small bit of info here, the building is exactly as you describe although the fire station next door looks to have been re-built (google maps)

I was once in a rotar bunker near Whitby, this place was a big underground affair. It was badly vandalised in recent years and the surface guard house sealed up. http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/g/goldsborough/