Visiting Santas grotty (sorry Grotto!!)

I have a photo of me as a child in the 1940s sat on Santa's knee (those were the days!) in Stuart & Stuart's Christmas grotto. I'm holding a teddy bear so presumably that's the gift I received.

Stuart & Stuart's store was on Pinstone Street across from the Peace Gardens.

echo.

I have a photo of me as a child in the 1940s sat on Santa's knee (those were the days!) in Stuart & Stuart's Christmas grotto. I'm holding a teddy bear so presumably that's the gift I received.

Stuart & Stuart's store was on Pinstone Street across from the Peace Gardens.

echo.

I too have a picture of me and the Big Guy, I thought I was the only one until I discovered that my Brother in Law had one too, your not him are you?

I too have a picture of me and the Big Guy, I thought I was the only one until I discovered that my Brother in Law had one too, your not him are you?

Sorry Blackbeard, unfortunately I don't think we're related, although it would be interesting to have some familial connection to a pirate!

echo

Here I am on Santa's knee at the S. & E. Co-Op in 1951. I didn't get all the toys, though..:|

Mr.H. You went from Dykes Hall Road area to what, I assume the bottom of Ecclesall ,Road which would be, perhaps two tram car rides then. missing on a few 'Santa's' on the way, The trams would have done for me as they didn't start reversing the seats (seats !!) until the terminus.

Cannot remember exact year (no photo) but it was at the B&C Co-op Store in Exchange Street before it was destroyed in the December 1940 Blitz, so probably late 30's. There would have been a number of disappointed children whose toys were lost that year(1940).

...from Dykes Hall Road area to what, I assume the bottom of Ecclesall ,Road which would be, perhaps two tram car rides...
Actually it was only one tram ride - the good old Middlewood-Ecclesall route (replaced by the No 82 bus in 1954). Here is a link to a pre-war picturesheffield.com photo of an Ecclesall tram, taken at Middlewood.

Oh, the reversible seats - a bit like these. That photo was actually taken on the Bluebell Railway - book your seats now for one of the line's Santa Specials. :)

Edited by hillsbro