Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

One of what countries?

The tourists were German.

Its unclear what the attack was about at this stage.

There has been a knife attack in Morocco today. I think 4 people have been badly hurt.

Anyone who goes to one of these countries now is mad. I wouldn't even go to Turkey now.

These......

How long have we got in the UK before we become one of "these" countries?

What are you talking about BECOME one of "these" countries.

Remember the 1971 bomb attack on the BT tower?? or what about......

The 1972 letterbomb to the Israeli embassy

The 1973 bomb attacks of Kings Cross and Euston Stations

The 1974/75 The Woolwich pub bombings, Birmingham pub bombings, Caterham Pub bombings

The 1978 Bristol Department Store bombings

The Iranian embassy siege of 1980

The 1983 Harrods bombing and 1984 Brighton Hotel bombing

The 1989 Pan Am bombing

The 1991 Victoria Station bombing

The 1992 London Bridge bombing

The 1992 Canary Wharf bombing.

The 1996 Manchester Arndale centre bombings

The 1999 Woolworths bombing

The 2001 BBC Television Centre bombing… I could go on.

This is not an original story here. Terrorism has been happening for decades. It happens from all sorts of "extreme" groups filled with all kinds of people whether they are are black/brown/halfcast/white or bloody purple.

It COULD happen anywhere at any time. People need to live their lives and not let the Terrorists dictate. When 7/7 happened people's first thoughts were how they were going to get home. The next day the tubes that could run did run.

When 9/11 happen New Yorkers returned to the streets and got back to business as soon as they could. The memory and mourning will never leave but lives have to be lived.

By letting the "fear" of what "could" happen and "when" run your lives and dictate what you do and when you go, you are letting these psychopaths win. Its that fear mongering (...massively fuelled by certain tabloid newspapers) which is half their battle done.

So you simply mean Morocco and Turkey because 3 Germans were involved in an incident?

Who knows what he means, he can't say it 'cause the man won't let him, must be because it's REALLY CONTROVERSIAL and he's so edgy. :rolleyes:

Edited by flamingjimmy

Who knows what he means, he's clearly too scared to say it.

Well Ron seems to be able to interpret what he meant.

I was waiting to see if he meant Muslim countries or seomthing in particular as mikeFrank made the comment he would be the one to explain what he meant.

Edited by 999tigger

Not quite sure why youd want to go to the Middle east, except on business, but I suppose Jordan and Egtpt have established tourism as well as Dubai if you like shopping.

I've been to Egypt and Israel and would certainly go back. Both are full of ancient history. I've visited the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the Mount of Olives, walked the Via Dolorosa and been in the Garden Tomb.

Most Westerners who travel to Iraq or Afghanistan tend to be part of illegal invasion forces. TIP: If you invade someone else's country on false pretexts, don't be too surprised if the locals seem a wee bit irked.

Since 2007, 78% of all terrorist attacks have happened in 10 countries – Iraq 30%, Pakistan 13% , Afghanistan 11%, India 7%, Thailand 4%,

Russia 3%, Somalia2%, Nigeria 2%, Yemen 2% and Colombia 2% (in this order).

In 2015, this is liable to change. Russia and Colombia have seen a notable decline,

while Libya and Egypt standout as having seen significant increases. Terrorist groups grow and threaten to sustain heightened conflict and terrorism risks.

Presumably that would get Tunisia up to c3-4%

If you look at this Daily Star Map (yes I know DS, but its Jul 2015), where they have transferred the FCO threat levels then the safest places are Central Africa, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia. Looking at the map youd think there were great risks everyhwere, but its more about risk perception.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel-news-cheap-uk-holidays-luxury-breaks-more-daily-star/451454/Tunisia-terror-attack-safe-holiday-destinations-British-tourists

The Tunis attack cost 38 peoples lives and although thats a tragedy, thats just under 1 death per per million holidays according to the ONS for 2014.

Last year 1800 people were killed on the roads.

509,000 people died in the UK in 2013

The most common causes cancer 147,000, circulatory disease 142,000, respiratory disease 76000.

The point is your chances of actually being involved in a terrorist attack are very low.

Not quite sure why youd want to go to the Middle east, except on business, but I suppose Jordan and Egtpt have established tourism as well as Dubai if you like shopping.

One of the deal clinchers is price. You makes your choice and takes your risk. The risk is still very low compared to 40 million holidaymakers. Id expect more people to have died by misadventure, drowning, getting lost falling down mountains etc.

It would seem that you're fudging the issue with comparing vile violent Terrorism with day to day life.

Many fatal illnesses cannot be cured/avoided but I certainly wouldn't go to any dodgy country that has a history of muslim terrorism.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 15:49 ----------

I've been to Egypt and Israel and would certainly go back. Both are full of ancient history. I've visited the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the Mount of Olives, walked the Via Dolorosa and been in the Garden Tomb.

Most Westerners who travel to Iraq or Afghanistan tend to be part of illegal invasion forces. TIP: If you invade someone else's country on false pretexts, don't be too surprised if the locals seem a wee bit irked.

So you liked 911.

Also 27/7

It has probably never been so unsafe for a person from a western country to visit predominantly Muslim countries today, especially those in the Middle East. Why do British people potentially put themselves at risk just to seek sunshine? There are many tourist destinations that offer good weather without the risk of possible terrorism, isn't it time the public started being more responsible and safety aware rather than going to dangerous locations and then screaming 'why hasn't our government done something' when anything happens?

Are you classifying Sharm as an unsafe destination? Because until this week the home office didn't.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 15:53 ----------

Personally I wouldn't risk taking my family to one of those hellholes, or anywhere in the vicinity. I've never been into "cheap sun" holidays anyway though.

Which hellholes? And having never been there, can you explain why they're so hellish?