Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

They have, because they've been told. Repeatedly.

But by the look of the thread, they'll have none of your common sense in here (and/or they will allege that you have been lobotomized...have you? :D)

If you want to find an answer to a question like this you don't need a forum. Just go into a hair salon and ask the stylist. They'll tell you how many of their customers won't be going back to these places next year. It would appear to be most of them, and that includes me.

I'm not about to ruin my holiday worrying about kidnap, murder and bombs. Not when there's a thousand destinations where I wouldn't feel under threat. Folk don't sit around talking about the risk of road accidents. They talk about real world concerns. Next year Croatia and Floria seem favourites.

Nope, it was a great analogy to show that statistics don't always give you the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I'll afford you the courtesy of not being as condescending to you as you appear to enjoy being towards other posters.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 17:21 ----------

That would be me then. Whether or not somewhere is a "hellhole" is obviously entirely subjective. I'm quite entitled to my opinion, thanks. My point was that why would I accept any increased risk, no matter how small you are at pains to argue it is, to visit places I have no interest in visiting?

You're entitled to an opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion, thanks.

---------- Post added 13-11-2015 at 09:55 ----------

If you want to find an answer to a question like this you don't need a forum. Just go into a hair salon and ask the stylist. They'll tell you how many of their customers won't be going back to these places next year. It would appear to be most of them, and that includes me.

I'm not about to ruin my holiday worrying about kidnap, murder and bombs. Not when there's a thousand destinations where I wouldn't feel under threat. Folk don't sit around talking about the risk of road accidents. They talk about real world concerns. Next year Croatia and Floria seem favourites.

No risk of terrorism in the US is there :roll:

Around 400,000 British nationals visit Croatia every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Someone (not you) spent several posts trying to argue that the same sentence regarding Morocco perhaps meant that 49% of tourists had trouble...

You're entitled to an opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion, thanks.

---------- Post added 13-11-2015 at 09:55 ----------

No risk of terrorism in the US is there :roll:

Someone (not you) spent several posts trying to argue that the same sentence regarding Morocco perhaps meant that 49% of tourists had trouble...

That's all pretty funny in the circumstances. In the real world people pick their holiday destinations for a variety of reasons including perceived risk. At the moment wild horses wouldn't drag me to a middle eastern resort, and I suspect 99% of the population think the same. I don't think a statistics wrestler is going to alter that perception.

I was in Turkey last month. Felt safer there than I do on a night out in Sheffield..

I know what you mean.

Someone at our hotel in Istanbul was mugged, but explained to the muggers he needed money to get home, so negotiated with them how much he could spare, then they hailed a taxi for him..... I don't think the same courtesy would be extended by muggers in Sheffield.

That's all pretty funny in the circumstances. In the real world people pick their holiday destinations for a variety of reasons including perceived risk. At the moment wild horses wouldn't drag me to a middle eastern resort, and I suspect 99% of the population think the same. I don't think a statistics wrestler is going to alter that perception.

Events last night perhaps put that into perspective when compared to European destinations.