Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

Did you forget this when you cut and pasted your post, or is it just part of the history of Islam that you'd rather not bring to this conversation?

According to the International Association of Genocide Scholars, evidence shows that the “government of the Ottoman Empire began a systematic genocide of its Armenian citizens and unarmed Christian minority population.”

“More than a million Armenians were exterminated through direct killing, starvation, torture, and forced death marches,” the group said.

We were offered a discount break to Tunisia in a 5 star hotel.

It was either that or camping at Skegness.

The prices are cheap in some countrys and my philosophy is "well if someone is going to be on the beach with a gun at least I'll die with a suntan"

As long as I don't get shot at while on my lilo in the sea there isn't a problem (I can't swim so if I fell off my lilo I would drown)

We were offered a discount break to Tunisia in a 5 star hotel.

It was either that or camping at Skegness.

The prices are cheap in some countrys and my philosophy is "well if someone is going to be on the beach with a gun at least I'll die with a suntan"

As long as I don't get shot at while on my lilo in the sea there isn't a problem (I can't swim so if I fell off my lilo I would drown)

The chances are you'll have a great holiday. They're going to be really glad to see you in Tunisia and they'll be extra friendly, because of the lack of tourists.

I never went on holiday in Tunisia, but I spent a lot of time working there and it's a good country. There's a relaxed and tolerant variety of Islam that's easy for westerners to get along with.

Probably someone will say 'what was nice and relaxed about the terrorist attacks?", but that was just a few lone loonies.

Its Muslims doing the terrorising there.

---------- Post added 12-04-2016 at 18:34 ----------

Would they have been killed by Muslims by any chance?

I see a pattern emerging! :suspect:

I think you've missed the point in your excitement at blaming Muslims. The point is whether countries that are predominantly Muslim (all of them) are too dangerous to visit for a holiday.

I think you've missed the point in your excitement at blaming Muslims. The point is whether countries that are predominantly Muslim (all of them) are too dangerous to visit for a holiday.

It would appear 3/4 of the population would say YES!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3261602/Three-four-British-travellers-actively-avoiding-Islamic-countries-holiday-destinations-says-new-research.html

Three in four British travellers 'now actively avoiding' Islamic countries as holiday destinations, says new research

75 per cent of British tourists admit that they now actively avoiding Muslim countries when deciding where to head this winter.

It appears that traditional winter sun destinations are being traded in favour of 'safer' countries that they 'would not otherwise have chosen to visit.'

Edited by foxy lady

Did you read the article about perception of risk?

Why would I bother to read anything you posted on the subject. We all know that you will trawl the internet until you find something to back your position regardless of how many you had to discard on the way.

I'm not sure that you have grasped the concepts of public opinion or public perception. If you go on holiday and someone else is shot that has a profound effect on you. If you are at an airport and someone else's plane is blown up that has a profound effect. Not only are hundreds of people killed. Thousands more have their lives ruined. Your selected snippets don't tell you that.

The fact is that if you go on holiday and are worried that the waiter might spit in your drink you won't enjoy it. If you pass through an airport where you see Saudi nationals evading security checks it makes you worry about your flight. If you see the population as IS sympathisers as many of them clearly are then you feel under threat.

This is the reality.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/16/mediterranean-resorts-fall-in-tourism-numbers-due-to-isis-attacks

Your carefully selected propaganda is not.

Fair enough, closed mind. Duly noted. I'm not sure what you're scared you might learn in there. It largely says that people assess risk using an emotional response rather than a rational one. But by all means don't read it, don't learn anything.

I certainly believe that many people won't go on holiday to Muslim countries now. Public opinion doesn't actually make it more dangerous than it really is though, it just means that a lot of people, like you, are very poor at assessing risk.

I'm not even sure you know what point you want to make anymore.

Are you trying to argue that people THINK it's too dangerous. If so I've never disagreed with that.

Or are you trying to argue that it's ACTUALLY too dangerous?

Edited by Cyclone

Fair enough, closed mind. Duly noted.

We all know that you have a closed mind. That's why you don't understand that folk are not going to these places.

It is quite funny really. You say I have a closed mind because I point out the reality that you cannot see. It is not my opinion that folk are shunning Muslim countries. It is an undenyable fact. Keep on googling.

Edited by foxy lady

We all know that you have a closed mind. That's why you don't understand that folk are not going to these places.

It is quite funny really. You say I have a closed mind because I point out the reality that you cannot see. It is not my opinion that folk are shunning Muslim countries. It is an undenyable fact. Keep on googling.

Nonsence

A rainy weekend in Edale or sunning on the beach in Tunisia

Its a no brainer