Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

Would you agree with this flamingjimmy?

Nope, switch 'without exception' to 'as a general rule' and then I will. Also as another note if your 'exception' is North Korea then that is stupid.

Having an 'official state religion' isn't always very meaningful.

You can officially have no religion, and yet still persecute members of some religions, like North Korea.

Or you can have an official religion, and yet allow complete freedom of concience and/or worhsip to members of minority religions and the non-religious like the UK.

Which country would you rather live in if you were a member of a minority religion? Answer that and you'll discover which one's more secular.

Doesn't really matter. Perhaps it was a bad example, I simply picked an obvious one from the wiki list of secular countries. There are plenty of others to demonstrate that the over generalisation was nonsense, which was the point, it was nothing about N Korea specifically.

The last 10 pages have all been about massive overgeneralisations.

Secular countries are without exception the most successful - false.

Muslim countries are dangerous (more so than some average) to visit - false

It's not safe to holiday in Muslim countries - false

In each case the word SOME would render the statement true, but also pretty meaningless as you need to know WHICH for it be on any real use.

Edited by Cyclone

Doesn't really matter. Perhaps it was a bad example, I simply picked an obvious one from the wiki list of secular countries. There are plenty of others to demonstrate that the over generalisation was nonsense, which was the point, it was nothing about N Korea specifically.

Secular countries are without exception the most successful - false.

Muslim countries are dangerous (more so than some average) to visit - false

It's not safe to holiday in Muslim countries - false

In each case the word SOME would render the statement true, but also pretty meaningless as you need to know WHICH for it be on any real use.

And no one believes you. - true

Countries are closing their embassies in Muslim countries and bringing the staff home - true

There are travel warnings about travelling to many muslim countries - true

Airlines have withdrawn flights to places like Sharm - true.

Large numbers of holiday makers are voting with their feet and not going to these destinations. - true

I don't know what you don't believe. I'm not stating a subjective opinion about anything.

Really?

Removing the facetious option, the

Can't be much more secular than being officially atheist..

This whole thread is about you imposing your subjective opinions on everyone else.

Really?

This whole thread is about you imposing your subjective opinions on everyone else.

No, it really isn't. It's about objective facts and how they prove the massive generalisations to be wrong.

North Korea was just a pick from a list of secular countries that are clearly not successful. There are plenty of others to pick from.

Do you actually agree with this statement?

We can also see that secular nations are without exception more successful and more peaceful for everyone regardless of any belief.

And are you saying that you didn't think it facetious (and in incredibly bad taste) to suggest that a plane that was missing was actually just "lost looking for somewhere to land because the crew are Muslim"?

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 09:09 ----------

And no one is buying his neo-liberal, dismissive, self-flagellation either.

What does this even mean? The words are English, it has structure, but it says nothing. What is "neo-liberal, dismissive, self flagellation"?

For the last time, North Korea isn't a secular country.

Jukes x

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 12:03 ----------

A secular state that has a specific law on it's books for over half a century offering citizenship to people if they are members of one specific religion?

You're having a laugh surely?

That is unfair as these days Jews are considered a race not a religion. Israel grants citizenship from a wide range of criteria of which being Jewish is only one.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/aboutisrael/state/pages/acquisition%20of%20israeli%20nationality.aspx

And no one believes you. - true

Countries are closing their embassies in Muslim countries and bringing the staff home - true

There are travel warnings about travelling to many muslim countries - true

Airlines have withdrawn flights to places like Sharm - true.

Large numbers of holiday makers are voting with their feet and not going to these destinations. - true

I do - true

Countries are re-opening embassies in Tehran (capital of Iran - one of Bush's axis of evil)

Commercial flights, and tourism are increasing dramatically in Iran.

Last time I looked Iran was a Muslim country.

It's not about the country's main religion, it's about what's happening there at the time.

I'd love to visit Iran and might do so next year - Iraq is not on my list just yet.