Speeding motorists to finance police force

I know that to some extent this is already the case.

However ,the proposal of the Chief Constable of Bedfordshire police to raise revenue of an estimated £1 million p.a by fining drivers travelling at 1 mph over the motorway limit is a step too far and has nothing to do with motorway safety.

The majority of speeding fines result from cameras which give a black or white result,rather than motorway cops who could make a judgement.

I sympathise with his stark decisions on providing a service within the reduced government funding and this is the root of the problem.

I want the government to properly fund the police service in the interests of the general public and not in a way that alienates us.

Its the everyday criminal and anti social activities that affect most of the population and if the police service was closer to the communities they serve I for one would be grateful.

However ,the proposal of the Chief Constable of Bedfordshire police to raise revenue of an estimated £1 million p.a by fining drivers travelling at 1 mph over the motorway limit is a step too far and has nothing to do with motorway safety.

The majority of speeding fines result from cameras which give a black or white result,rather than motorway cops who could make a judgement.

I sympathise with his stark decisions on providing a service within the reduced government funding and this is the root of the problem.

I want the government to properly fund the police service in the interests of the general public and not in a way that alienates us.

Its the everyday criminal and anti social activities that affect most of the population and if the police service was closer to the communities they serve I for one would be grateful.

Just listened to this on radio two. It seems a shame that its expected that motorists will fund this, and just as absurd to have McDonald's slogans on scene of crime officers white ovvies.

The feds should be financially supported by government's, not fines or advertising.

Another stupid chief who really should think before he speaks.

I do care about our police forces, but this isnt the way.

Bedfordshire police are and always have been terrible at doing their job. I grew up in central Bedfordshire. This kind of idiotic approach does not come as a surprise.

So some police chief wants to finance police from fines.

Next step will be targets for officers to issue certain amount of fines.

Then that will be all they will do.

They will try to extort fines in any possible way, 1 mph over limit is just beginning.

Was there an organisation that did that already?

Extort money out of people for 'protection' when only protection they were getting is when extortionists weren't around?

Fines should never go to people that can impose them.

This gentleman needs to be sacked to prevent further deterioration of police image.

Why is it always motorists? Why not start charging burglars or fraudsters directly to prop up the budget?

In fact merge the policies with Gove's statement of less people in jail and boom, we've got a great way to fund the Police. No more prison sentences, just charge people. How much for murder? £1m? :(

Bedfordshire police are and always have been terrible at doing their job. I grew up in central Bedfordshire. This kind of idiotic approach does not come as a surprise.

Have some sympathy for them though, Bedfordshire is a horrible place, imagine having to work there day in day out. I bet you are glad you got to move, even sheffield is a step up.

However, beds police are probably better than syp.

Why is it always motorists? Why not start charging burglars or fraudsters directly to prop up the budget?

In fact merge the policies with Gove's statement of less people in jail and boom, we've got a great way to fund the Police. No more prison sentences, just charge people. How much for murder? £1m? :(

They don't investigate burglaries.