Speeding motorists to finance police force

The feds should be financially supported by government's, not fines or advertising.

Another stupid chief who really should think before he speaks.

I do care about our police forces, but this isnt the way.

This does sound more like something that would happen in another country, the USA.

Fines should go towards supporting the Police, the fines from parking has been deemed illegal if the councils use it as a method of raising money.

This is what we have all known for years its been exposed many times but its the first time I can remember the Police blatantly coming out and saying its a money raising exercise rather than motivated by safety.

I think most people will see this as wrong and will also undermine confidence/respect for the police.

The law is their to be applied in a fair and measured manor not to raise money.

Why is it always motorists? Why not start charging burglars or fraudsters directly to prop up the budget?

Motorists are easy pickings.

Fines are already in place. And motorists have money if they can afford cars, insurance, fuel etc.

Burglars on other hand have jacket on own back and drug habit.

Who can pay up?

Most of common crimes like burglaries and mugging are done by people skinned and stupid, and we cant force them into labour under current legislation.

Rules before said that all money raised by fines goes to safety improvements to infrastructure and it worked. I don't think that this still applies.

I am a driver and agree that every speeding driver should be fined, more mobile cameras at night for road safety reasons

This is not the issue (apart from the fact that I doubt any driver would think it reasonable to be fined and accumulate points for exceeding the various 30,40,50,70 mph limits by 1 mph!)

We all accept reasonable limits and have no choice but to accept the consequences if we exceed them.

It is just so blatantly wrong to change existing guidelines purely to raise revenue for policing our communities.

I would like to think that it will not be allowed to happen but stranger things have.

Any cash the police generate through giving out fines goes to the treasury not the police so this idea is a non starter .instead of clamping down on drivers going a mile an hour over speed limit they should clamp down on drivers with defective lights etc

Any cash the police generate through giving out fines goes to the treasury not the police so this idea is a non starter .instead of clamping down on drivers going a mile an hour over speed limit they should clamp down on drivers with defective lights etc

Apparently if the driver takes the speed awareness option the police get £35 a time

Best bet is to fine anyone doing above, say 80 mph on a motorway. (Not just Bedfordshire).

With the resulting cash pot, 50% to the police for their budgets, and the other 50% is redistributed back amongst drivers who have received no convictions that year.

Result is a better funded police force and an extra incentive (and cash reward) for drivers who behave.

Win win...

Except the police will be incentiveised to spend more time/money/effort in catching speeding drivers because it raises them cash.

You'll just end up in a situation where the police catch a speeder, the money go's to the police which is then spent on catching another speeder.

No extra cash go's out to catch robbers, burglars and violent criminals, it's just more cameras, more traffic cops, better more expensive traffic cars etc etc etc