Taxis stopping on Sheaf Street

There seems to be some terrible driving from taxis lately

Totally agree. I have lost count of the times that drivers of a certain Sheffield Taxi company have just stopped dead in front of me with no indication. I'm beginning to wonder if they WANT me to drive in to them. If I wasn't a very safe and experienced driver, I would have had smashed in to at least one this week. It always seems to be the same company.

Last week one decided to do a U Turn in the middle of a main road right in front of me with no indication whatsoever.

I cant remember the last i saw a taxi driver use his indicators in front of me. I was behind one from University roundabout all the way to Abbeydale Road without using his indicators once.

to be fair, it's not just taxi drivers who have problems indicating

Seen them all parked up at the mosque last Friday Wollsley road, and there were traffic wardens actively giving tickets out for the ones parked on the pavements !

About time traffic wardens started taking action .the offenders might start parking with more consideration

They're selfish and lazy and don't think the rules apply to them?

Yep, taxis sometimes have to be the same, and you could also apply this to the people who cause the station jams in the first place - the people waiting to pick up in the new drop off area.

It's slightly better since the recent alterations because the new drop off area has slightly more capacity than the old one.

I asked a customer yesterday if they'd like to be dropped off at the Showroom (as I always do when I know it's busy), she said no, so we queued about 15 mins to get in. All of the cars queuing had a driver only so either they're all dropping off the invisible man, or they're queuing to pick someone up.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 14:28 ----------

Whatever it is, increasingly common that's for sure.

Just to add as well, now the trade has been deregulated you can expect far more taxis in town, and you won't be able to phone SCC for them to do anything, because they have no control over it. It's only been 5 weeks and the number of out of town cars is already closing in on the number of Sheffield ones. The general consensus amongst drivers is that we will be outnumbered very soon, I think before the end of the year.

to be fair, it's not just taxi drivers who have problems indicating

Taxi full of people was hit at West Bar roundabout last night. Most of them had to go to hospital.

Taxi driver was taken away by the police. Probably wasnt licensed and was just borrowing it from a friend or family.

Totally agree. I have lost count of the times that drivers of a certain Sheffield Taxi company have just stopped dead in front of me with no indication. I'm beginning to wonder if they WANT me to drive in to them. If I wasn't a very safe and experienced driver, I would have had smashed in to at least one this week. It always seems to be the same company.

bold: That's just a lie really isn't it? Either that or you can't count past 1 or 2.

If you'd smashed into the back of them, then you would be driving too close - if someone isn't driving safely then they will hit the back of cars eventually.

Last week one decided to do a U Turn in the middle of a main road right in front of me with no indication whatsoever.

A taxi doing a U-turn?! :o:o If you got in a taxi and asked him to take you somewhere in the opposite direction, what would you do? Should they drive around the block to correct it?

Then you could start a thread saying 'I've had countless times where the driver has taken the long way round' :roll:

Taxi full of people was hit at West Bar roundabout last night. Most of them had to go to hospital.

If the taxi was hit then the other driver should drive more carefully. Shame it wasn't Hesther who was close by, he would have missed them because he's a very safe and experienced driver.

Taxi driver was taken away by the police. Probably wasnt licensed and was just borrowing it from a friend or family.

If this happened, we'll soon know why.

The last sentence is old hat now. No need to borrow from a friend or family, you can buy a piece of junk and go to a council where they hand out licences like confetti, far less risk.