Vehicle road tax

Can someone explain road tax to me. In particular van road tax v car road tax. I have a Nissan quashai 1.6 engine and pay £130 odd a year but my dad has just got a Nissan van 1.5 engine and pays £230 a year. Just wondered why as my dad's van is newer so not sure why. Thanks

I think you mean vehicle excise duty. There is no such thing as specific road tax, as road building and upkeep is paid for from general taxation. So even cyclists and pedestrians like myself pay for roads.

Yeah just read that. I say road tax as it's just habit.

---------- Post added 06-11-2015 at 22:03 ----------

My 2015 quashqai is zero road tax 1.5 diesel

It's more the can tax my dad doesn't understand why it would be so massively different. And I can't find much online to explain it.

Strangely...

I wonder why the "Road fund licence" isn't used exclusively for the purpose of the upkeep of the roads, along with any duty paid on fuel AND the proceeds of fines etc from traffic offences.

Infact, wouldn't it make even more sense to tax fuel more and scrap the road fund licence altogether?

That way the people who use & damage the roads most and pollute the environment most will be hit the hardest (seems in-keeping with general world policy so far)

seems fair to me.

I wonder why the "Road fund licence" isn't used exclusively for the purpose of the upkeep of the roads, along with any duty paid on fuel AND the proceeds of fines etc from traffic offences.

Why should just car drivers pay for road maintenance? What would happen if there were a massive shortfall? You wouldn't expect parents alone to pay for state education or ill people alone to pay for the NHS.

Can someone explain road tax to me. In particular van road tax v car road tax. I have a Nissan quashai 1.6 engine and pay £130 odd a year but my dad has just got a Nissan van 1.5 engine and pays £230 a year. Just wondered why as my dad's van is newer so not sure why. Thanks

Its all to do with vehicle emissions on cars and light vans registered after 2001. Before 2001 it is engine size (cc). Hope that helps