Vehicle road tax

Oh, your back are you?

I dont really think your firing on all cylinders. I agree that funding comes from all areas, but when the new rules come into force, the proportions change, and the motorists will come off worse.

Is it really that hard? Are dominoes like the KryptonFactor??

Osbourne has said the switch to road tax will not raise more money than VED. If,as he claims, he's going to reserve that for new roads that means he'll either have cut the budget for the current roads by 2/3rds[1] in which case nobody will be worse off but the roads will be or he'll make up the difference through general taxation in which case everybody will be worse off and non motorists will end up paying for a greater proportion of the road budget than they do now (if you think VED is really all spent to roads).

Asserting that motorists are going to be worse off whilst ignoring the fact that non motorists will be just as worse off isn't a good claim for motorists being unfairly targeted.

[1] VED only raises 2/3rds of the money currently spent on the roads each year.

Once again, it seems that we all pay for the upkeep of the roads through general taxation. Yeah. Right.

However, Mr Osborne has told us that all car road tax is now to be used to maintain the road network, with drivers of the most expensive cars paying up to £450 a year.

I have a nice car that I've worked hard for, and no doubt will be paying this super road tax for it from now on. I now know its to be spend on road maintenance.

So the next time a cyclist tells me he pays for the road too, I might just stick his head in his pannier and horsewhip him.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 18:09 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11727415/Budget-2015-Motorists-in-expensive-cars-hit-by-450-annual-tax-to-fund-new-roads.html

Not really much to do with emissions now. More for road building.

Because people on bikes don't also own a car.

Did you think about what you were posting for more than a second or two?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 00:14 ----------

Ah!! That explains it. You're a cyclist.

Never mind that a section of the population is going to be overtaxed again, just because they drive a car. That means nothing to you, does it? And I wonder why. Could it be that It is about attitude? For a long time car drivers have had it drummed into them that what they are doing is antisocial and undesirable and have been subjected to ever greater strictures about what they can and can’t do in their cars, how fast they should travel and why they should leave the car in the garage to ease congestion and save the planet. As a consequence, they have become mindful and cowed. By contrast the cyclists have been told that they are doing a Good Thing, that it would be better if we all cycled (it wouldn’t — it would be better if we all walked) and so believe they can do no wrong. They have the moral high ground, which includes the pavement.

In your world can people only belong to one group?

It just seems incredibly stupid to assume that anyone who uses a bike isn't also a motorist and a pedestrian and a public transport user.

You've got an obsession with telling people to use a car and actually increase congestion, it's ridiculous, it benefits no one, definitely not existing motorists, to ask more people to use cars.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 00:16 ----------

Its not about an us and them issue Isabelle, although that is howcleat it's come out thanks to altus and his amazing cleat sized chip on his shoulder.

Its about car tax/ved being moved into road schemes in a few years time. This will really be a catalyst for motorists, as they really will be paying for everyone else.

You were the one who was going to stuff a cyclist's head into his panniers.

That's in your imaginary world where driving your car has made you capable of such a thing anyway.

Because people on bikes don't also own a car.

Did you think about what you were posting for more than a second or two?

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 00:14 ----------

In your world can people only belong to one group?

It just seems incredibly stupid to assume that anyone who uses a bike isn't also a motorist and a pedestrian and a public transport user.

You've got an obsession with telling people to use a car and actually increase congestion, it's ridiculous, it benefits no one, definitely not existing motorists, to ask more people to use cars.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 00:16 ----------

You were the one who was going to stuff a cyclist's head into his panniers.

That's in your imaginary world where driving your car has made you capable of such a thing anyway.

It was only a matter of time before CJ took a break from filming the latest Eggheads episode, and commented on a post that upset his cycling fetish.

Just because you and other cyclists believe your world is the answer to congestion and world peace does not mean that everyone agrees with you. Because its never going to happen.

More on point, the issue is with the introduction of the new three tier car tax system and how drivers are physically now going to pay directly to the road building and maintenance schemes.

Because no matter how small your mind is, and how wonderful you imagine you and your cycly friends are, NOT all cyclists are drivers, and this tax is proportionally unfair, but im sure you'd rather argue about how good you look in your plastic ninny hat than the topic of an unfair tax system.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 09:21 ----------

It was only a matter of time before CJ took a break from filming the latest Eggheads episode, and commented on a post that upset his cycling fetish.

Just because you and other cyclists believe your world is the answer to congestion and world peace does not mean that everyone agrees with you. Because its never going to happen.

More on point, the issue is with the introduction of the new three tier car tax system and how drivers are physically now going to pay directly to the road building and maintenance schemes.

Because no matter how small your mind is, and how wonderful you imagine you and your cycly friends are, NOT all cyclists are drivers, and this tax is proportionally unfair, but im sure you'd rather argue about how good you look in your plastic ninny hat than the topic of an unfair tax system.

Just to give you a little clue, ive got the proposed bill for my car here.

Land Rover Evoque SD4

The car currently pays £180 in each of its first two years- a total of £360.

Under the new system the first year will be £500 in year one, and £450 in year two making a total of £950. Over the two years that is £590 more in road tax.

And that is road tax. Even zero emissions motors will be paying £140 a year.

Again, ninny cyclists aside, its disproportionate to road users.

Edited by scania

I'm guessing that actual evidence and thought might cause you to come out in hives Scania, but in case you can manage to stomach it.

10. How many drivers cycle? And how many cyclists drive?

15% of full driving licence holders cycle more than twice a month; 18% cycle once a year to twice a month (ATT 0216);

Around 80% of cyclists hold a driving licence (DfT Press Release)

The majority of adult cyclists can and probably do drive.

They've paid their VED, and by choosing to cycle at any given time instead of drive, they reduce congestion.

Why do you want to increase congestion? What benefit could it be to you if everyone stopped cycling tomorrow and used a car instead?

Just to give you a little clue, ive got the proposed bill for my car here.

Land Rover Evoque SD4

The car currently pays £180 in each of its first two years- a total of £360.

Under the new system the first year will be £500 in year one, and £450 in year two making a total of £950. Over the two years that is £590 more in road tax.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Again, ninny cyclists aside, its disproportionate to road users.

What you're paying for is the damage to the road and environment that cars cause and cycles don't. If you don't want to pay it sell the car and get a bike.

I'm guessing that actual evidence and thought might cause you to come out in hives Scania, but in case you can manage to stomach it.

The majority of adult cyclists can and probably do drive.

They've paid their VED, and by choosing to cycle at any given time instead of drive, they reduce congestion.

Why do you want to increase congestion? What benefit could it be to you if everyone stopped cycling tomorrow and used a car instead?

19. How risky is cycling?

Around 67% of non-cyclists in Britain feel that it is too dangerous for them to cycle on the roads; and very nearly half (48%) of those who do cycle share this view. Also 97% of cyclists agree that their ninny plastic hats make them look like human sized vibrating appliances.

20. Do I care?

100% no.

---------- Post added 08-11-2015 at 11:36 ----------

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

What you're paying for is the damage to the road and environment that cars cause and cycles don't. If you don't want to pay it sell the car and get a bike.

Cyclists are a particularly angry bunch – possibly it has something to do with the constant leg shaving or maybe it’s the effect of tight Lycra around the genitalia? Whatever, they are angry and, what’s even worse, unbelievably self-righteous.

DomJolly, the independent.

Once again, it seems that we all pay for the upkeep of the roads through general taxation. Yeah. Right.

However, Mr Osborne has told us that all car road tax is now to be used to maintain the road network, with drivers of the most expensive cars paying up to £450 a year.

I have a nice car that I've worked hard for, and no doubt will be paying this super road tax for it from now on. I now know its to be spend on road maintenance.

So the next time a cyclist tells me he pays for the road too, I might just stick his head in his pannier and horsewhip him.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 18:09 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11727415/Budget-2015-Motorists-in-expensive-cars-hit-by-450-annual-tax-to-fund-new-roads.html

Not really much to do with emissions now. More for road building.

You need to look deeper in to the headlines about road funding and VED.It will be used for the strategic road network only, which accounts for only 2% of capacity. All local roads will continue to be council tax funded. Perhaps you should only horsewhip cyclists who are on the motorways and major trunk roads.

as a looker on, i dont think the roads are now acceptable for cyclist there is to much traffic these days,

in my experience cyclist, expect drivers to anticipate there every move, they give very few signals maybe it is because they are concentrating on what the motorist is doing, "conclusion" cyclist and motorised traffic do not mix.

As a ps

how can cycling be healthy breathing in all that cancerous exhaust poison in there lungs?

Edited by kidley
added text