Vehicle road tax

Why should just car drivers pay for road maintenance? What would happen if there were a massive shortfall? You wouldn't expect parents alone to pay for state education or ill people alone to pay for the NHS.

Why should only aircraft passengers pay for airports?

Why should only rail passengers pay for track maintenance?

Access to medical treatment is a basic human right.

Access to education is a basic human right.

Car driving is not.

Every child, woman and man already pays for free parking, road building and maintenance without any say in how the money is allocated.

Why should only aircraft passengers pay for airports?

Why should only rail passengers pay for track maintenance?

Access to medical treatment is a basic human right.

Access to education is a basic human right.

Car driving is not.

Every child, woman and man already pays for free parking, road building and maintenance without any say in how the money is allocated.

With respect, what has that got to do with OPs question ???? :huh:

Oh yeah that right, nothing

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 11:08 ----------

with respect, there is NO basic human rights in this world, visit a third world country if you are not sure.

Quite right, well said

Edited by kanda8

Once again, it seems that we all pay for the upkeep of the roads through general taxation. Yeah. Right.

However, Mr Osborne has told us that all car road tax is now to be used to maintain the road network, with drivers of the most expensive cars paying up to £450 a year.

I have a nice car that I've worked hard for, and no doubt will be paying this super road tax for it from now on. I now know its to be spend on road maintenance.

So the next time a cyclist tells me he pays for the road too, I might just stick his head in his pannier and horsewhip him.

---------- Post added 07-11-2015 at 18:09 ----------

This is the correct answer to the original question and the only sensible one.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11727415/Budget-2015-Motorists-in-expensive-cars-hit-by-450-annual-tax-to-fund-new-roads.html

Not really much to do with emissions now. More for road building.

Edited by scania
Ea

Strangely...

I wonder why the "Road fund licence" isn't used exclusively for the purpose of the upkeep of the roads, along with any duty paid on fuel AND the proceeds of fines etc from traffic offences.

Infact, wouldn't it make even more sense to tax fuel more and scrap the road fund licence altogether?

That way the people who use & damage the roads most and pollute the environment most will be hit the hardest (seems in-keeping with general world policy so far)

seems fair to me.

Perhaps because the Road Fund Licence is as much a part of history as the Window Tax.

However I agree with the second part, that there should be a more weighted tax - people who keep a car garaged for occasional use pay the same as people with a 24000 yearly mileage - which is not really weighted fairly

true...for now

It's 2015, not 2017.

Who knows, perhaps the Window Tax may be reintroduced in future

But I was not aware of that and it does look like the concept of a Road Fund Licence (in effect if not name) is due to return. Which was abolished for good reasons; and it may prove costly to the average motorist, as ringfencing the funds for road maintenance may lead to less funding for roads from "general taxation"

There may be a shortfall with this plan...and vehicle related taxes may rise steeply for all

true...for now

It's 2015, not 2017.

Who knows, perhaps the Window Tax may be reintroduced in future

But I was not aware of that and it does look like the concept of a Road Fund Licence (in effect if not name) is due to return. Which was abolished for good reasons; and it may prove costly to the average motorist, as ringfencing the funds for road maintenance may lead to less funding for roads from "general taxation"

There may be a shortfall with this plan...and vehicle related taxes may rise steeply for all

Yes, but the average motorist changes cars every three years, which means we canlook forward to the return of an old friend, ie Mr roadtax.

As Osbourne has said switching from VED to a road tax will be revenue neutral, if he's planning on spending it all on new roads then either there'll be a 2/3rds cut in spending on existing roads or the difference is going to be made up through general taxation. The latter will mean cyclists paying a higher proportion of the roads budget than they do already. The subtleties of that will of course be lost on people like scania who don't even realise that VED doesn't cover the current road budget.