Vehicle road tax

Perhaps because the Road Fund Licence is as much a part of history as the Window Tax.

However I agree with the second part, that there should be a more weighted tax - people who keep a car garaged for occasional use pay the same as people with a 24000 yearly mileage - which is not really weighted fairly

Apart from the tax and duty on the fuel of course...

I'm planning on getting a 125 motorbike, I looked at the VED and its £17 a year currently, and I'm looking at half the price for insurance too compared with running a car :banana:

You would be surprised at the amount of young women who ride motorcycles/scooters..When I call at "Willingham Woods"... t'other side of Market Rasen... for a bite to eat/cuppa there are usually quite a lot of females riding sport's bikes there.You will find other "bikers" quite helpful/friendly and willing to give any advice you may need .Sadly, some motorist's...only a small proportion...have the same dis-regard for motorcyclists as they do cyclists,always keep a wary eye for one pulling out in front of you,or driving too close behind,if they do this just pull over and let them pass.Look for a Honda Shadow 125cc...these have an excellent reputation for reliability etc....PS my motorcycles are both Honda..six cylinder 1500cc and a V-Twin 1800cc...ride safe..:D :D :D

Shift all the tax to fuel duty and it can't be much fairer... The more you drive, the more you pay, the more efficient your car, the less you pay...

I think the cost of living would go sky high with the amount of mile's the lorries/transporting do?

Give them a rebate, or charge them differently somehow.

Calculate it so that the average car driver (12k miles/annum, 40mpg) pays the same as today, do the same for HGVs.

it would have to be something like that, thats how they work in France etc

Shift all the tax to fuel duty and it can't be much fairer... The more you drive, the more you pay, the more efficient your car, the less you pay...

This is a very old solution which has always failed to win national support because:

1 people in more rural communities get the least share of expenditure.

2 people in more rural communities make longer essential journeys.

3 the increased costs of delivery, transport etc would be transferred to people in rural communities.

4 people in rural communities have the no/least number of alternatives.

5 urban communities pay less per person but gain more per person.

6 makes shorter journeys more attractive increasing journey times, pollution and demand for increased spending

You would be surprised at the amount of young women who ride motorcycles/scooters..When I call at "Willingham Woods"... t'other side of Market Rasen... for a bite to eat/cuppa there are usually quite a lot of females riding sport's bikes there.You will find other "bikers" quite helpful/friendly and willing to give any advice you may need .Sadly, some motorist's...only a small proportion...have the same dis-regard for motorcyclists as they do cyclists,always keep a wary eye for one pulling out in front of you,or driving too close behind,if they do this just pull over and let them pass.Look for a Honda Shadow 125cc...these have an excellent reputation for reliability etc....PS my motorcycles are both Honda..six cylinder 1500cc and a V-Twin 1800cc...ride safe..:D :D :D

Haha, that is actually the bike I am hoping to get, I really like the Honda Shadow VT125 :D

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking forwards to getting a bike, I better start saving my pennies :)

I was looking at a new car 4 years ago, worth around the £23k mark and the salesman boasted that the VED was only £120. I asked him if anyone ever changed their minds or made a choice based on paying 1/2% of the purchase price annually. He looked a bit sheepish and admitted that no one ever did but he was told to mention it.

This is a very old solution which has always failed to win national support because:

1 people in more rural communities get the least share of expenditure.

2 people in more rural communities make longer essential journeys.

3 the increased costs of delivery, transport etc would be transferred to people in rural communities.

4 people in rural communities have the no/least number of alternatives.

5 urban communities pay less per person but gain more per person.

6 makes shorter journeys more attractive increasing journey times, pollution and demand for increased spending

If the focus is really supposed to be on the amount of pollution generated, and the real cost of the road network, then unfortunately people making longer journeys due to living in rural areas are polluting more and using more of the road network. Hence it's entirely fair that they pay more.

I can't see how it makes shorter journeys more attractive. It would increase the saving to be made by not using the car, unlike now when the VED cost is sunk. Every time I use the car now, I defray the VED cost over a greater number of miles. In the alternative, I simply don't incur ANY cost if I don't use the car.

---------- Post added 11-11-2015 at 09:51 ----------

I was looking at a new car 4 years ago, worth around the £23k mark and the salesman boasted that the VED was only £120. I asked him if anyone ever changed their minds or made a choice based on paying 1/2% of the purchase price annually. He looked a bit sheepish and admitted that no one ever did but he was told to mention it.

It could be the difference between £500/year though right? For the highest band VED.

So 1/2% as you say, compared to 2%... A "saving" of 1.5% of the purchase price every year. If you plan to keep it 10 years, that adds up.