Religion makes you meaner

It seems to me that many of the atheists on this forum are as mean spirited as the faithful they are accusing here.

Could you give an example of such (many) posts?

He's right. I could give examples of atheist posters on here who are "as mean spirited as the faithful they are accusing here". I'm not going to, and would advise buck to refrain from doing so too. Why? It could be seen as "attacking posters rather than the points they are making", which probably contravenes board guidelines and could lead to a mod warning or a ban.

It will certainly inflame the discussion to the point the thread will likely get pulled. You know that- I'm surprised you're encouraging him to do it.

I've certainly found, amongst especially, atheists who are in the sceptic/rationalist crowd, not just on this board, a similar effect, along with, usually, a high degree of arrogance, a superior smug attitude, and, an estimation of their own logical prowess that vastly exceeds the actuality.

Why don't you just read some of the posts on this thread instead of some useless comment.

He's right. I could give examples of atheist posters on here who are "as mean spirited as the faithful they are accusing here". I'm not going to, and would advise buck to refrain from doing so too. Why? It could be seen as "attacking posters rather than the points they are making", which probably contravenes board guidelines and could lead to a mod warning or a ban.

It will certainly inflame the discussion to the point the thread will likely get pulled. You know that- I'm surprised you're encouraging him to do it.

I've certainly found, amongst especially, atheists who are in the sceptic/rationalist crowd, not just on this board, a similar effect, along with, usually, a high degree of arrogance, a superior smug attitude, and, an estimation of their own logical prowess that vastly exceeds the actuality.

The thing is, these claims come up fairly frequently in discussions about religion and faith (Buck certainly isn't the first in this particular thread) but when called out on it these people usually respond with silence, "look for yourself" or variations of "I won't dignify that request with a response/I'm the bigger man here".

People make plenty of (true) claims about what other posters have said and follow up with quotes proving such, it's not an attack on a poster by saying "you said this" and then showing them what they said.

I think that to try and make such assertions about people and not back it up is more inflammatory to the thread than to just go ahead and show the details.

The thing is, these claims come up fairly frequently in discussions about religion and faith (Buck certainly isn't the first in this particular thread) but when called out on it these people usually respond with silence, "look for yourself" or variations of "I won't dignify that request with a response/I'm the bigger man here".

People make plenty of (true) claims about what other posters have said and follow up with quotes proving such, it's not an attack on a poster by saying "you said this" and then showing them what they said.

I think that to try and make such assertions about people and not back it up is more inflammatory to the thread than to just go ahead and show the details.

Fair point. Personally I really do feel that naming specific posters as being 'mean spirited' will be very inflammatory indeed.

I definitely feel that naming specifc posters will not be wanted by the mods.

However- here's a simple solution, if people really feel it's wise to name specific posters, they contact the mods or the helpdesk, and, if they're fine with it, they can post on here giving the OK, and that'll certainly make me feel more comfortable about it.

Fair point. Personally I really do feel that naming specific posters as being 'mean spirited' will be very inflammatory indeed.

I definitely feel that naming specifc posters will not be wanted by the mods.

However- here's a simple solution, if people really feel it's wise to name specific posters, they contact the mods or the helpdesk, and, if they're fine with it, they can post on here giving the OK, and that'll certainly make me feel more comfortable about it.

....or even easier just post the evidence, if a mod or member has a problem with it (very unlikely) it will be removed.

People regularly quote one another to show such examples in backing up similar claims, it hardly ever (virtually never) upsets anyone to the degree of moderator action being taken.

Edited by RootsBooster

....or even easier just post the evidence, if a mod or member has a problem with it (very unlikely) it will be removed.

People regularly quote one another to show such examples in backing up similar claims, it hardly ever (virtually never) upsets anyone to the degree of moderator action being taken.

Again, fair point. But that's how you feel. I feel that it's not a good move, especially as, remember, we're talking about naming a specific poster and claiming that they are 'mean spirited'. I find it impossible to believe that doing that will not cause problems with the mods, even if there's 'evidence' along with it.

However, here's possible solution no. 3- how about I contact the mods and ask them?

Obviously, especially given that I'm autistic, it'd be important that I get the wording right before sending it, so, shall I come up with a draft, or, do you want to start it? Then we can tweak it so we're all happy with it, then I'll send it off and get the reply.

Again, fair point. But that's how you feel. I feel that it's not a good move, especially as, remember, we're talking about naming a specific poster and claiming that they are 'mean spirited'. I find it impossible to believe that doing that will not cause problems with the mods, even if there's 'evidence' along with it.

However, here's possible solution no. 3- how about I contact the mods and ask them?

Obviously, especially given that I'm autistic, it'd be important that I get the wording right before sending it, so, shall I come up with a draft, or, do you want to start it? Then we can tweak it so we're all happy with it, then I'll send it off and get the reply.

How would I start it? It's a claim I'm asking for examples of, if I had the examples myself I wouldn't be asking.

As for getting the wording right, all you have to do is copy and paste the offending quotes. Anyone else's additional wording only serves to complicate matters.

Please do go ahead and get the ball rolling with the mods so we can find out who the many hateful and raging atheists are (not your words but Waldo's. You see how I linked a name to specific words being said, without fear of upsetting the system?).

I don't think it's been that bad really, not on this thread. I've definitely seen it on here though. I'm thinking of one poster in particular, whom I haven't seen around here for ages (don't really want to name names or spend time digging through all his posts in order to find examples).

I think if you are (on anyone is) going to attack or be critical religion; my only issue would be not doing so in a fair, equanimous, balanced and intellectually honest way (as opposed to being emotive, irrational and kinda misrepresenting or blanket attacking it).

Surely it is ok to criticise the posts that people put on here? That can't be against the rules. I think people can be overly sensitive when it comes to things that are really important to them, especially if they can see truth in the comments.

Yeah, it shouldn't be against the rules. There are good and bad ways to be critical though. :o:)

How would I start it? It's a claim I'm asking for examples of, if I had the examples myself I wouldn't be asking.

As for getting the wording right, all you have to do is copy and paste the offending quotes. Anyone else's additional wording only serves to complicate matters.

Please do go ahead and get the ball rolling with the mods so we can find out who the many hateful and raging atheists are (not your words but Waldo's. You see how I linked a name to specific words being said, without fear of upsetting the system?).

OK. Here's the first draft- read through it and, if there's bits you want modified, say what they are, but, if you think it's good to go, I'll pm it to the mods/helpdesk

"concerning this thread-

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11217391

a number of the posters wish to say on this thread that, in their opinion, it would be good to name specific boardusers and say that they were ""as mean spirited as the faithful they are accusing here"", whilst also presenting evidence that this was the case.

I felt that this may be in violation of board rules, but they felt there shouldn't be any problem. I still felt there may be a problem and so we decided to compose a message to you, the moderator/s, asking if you felt it would be a problem. Is it? Let me know in a reply, or, even better, post on the thread yourselves."

Shall i send it as it is, or do you want to do some alterations on bits of it?