Bedroom size proposal

are you happy for landlords to be renting out small spaces for vast amounts of money?

are you a landlord yourself?

Its supply and demand, I dont think the Government should set rent prices or any other prices. I am sure there could be some price fixing that could be good for society, I can think of the minimum wage, are there others?

I am not a landlord.

Giving that landlords down south are attempting to rent out understairs cupboards, broom closets and god knows what else I think it's a good idea.

You can't have rouge landlords ramming people into places like these, it's not safe and it's not right.

Its supply and demand, I dont think the Government should set rent prices or any other prices. I am sure there could be some price fixing that could be good for society, I can think of the minimum wage, are there others?

I am not a landlord.

Explain to me why rents should be higher just because the demand is higher. Pure exploitation.

Giving that landlords down south are attempting to rent out understairs cupboards, broom closets and god knows what else I think it's a good idea.

You can't have rouge landlords ramming people into places like these, it's not safe and it's not right.

HMOs are already regulated quite heavily already. This however is reducing the choice for people. I am against rent controls and regulation for sizes of bedrooms. If someone wants to live in a small bedroom for less money why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Minimum rented bedroom size proposed by government!

Is it the job of the Government to dictate what size bedrooms must be?

Our Government does seem to be rather authoritarian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34756249?SThisFB

The government already have some sort of legislation in place in the form of the 1987 housing act, which states a minimum size bedrooms for overcrowding purposes.

- 110 sq. ft. for 2 adults

- 70 sq. ft. for 1 adult

- 50 sq. ft. for a child

6.5 sq. m. is around 70 sq. ft.

People tried to use that act to exempt certain sized bedrooms from what has been dubbed the "bedroom tax" but failed.

It seems that private properties were exempt though hence the new proposed legislation which should be welcomed by all to help stop landlord exploitation.

Minimum rented bedroom size proposed by government!

Is it the job of the Government to dictate what size bedrooms must be?

Our Government does seem to be rather authoritarian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34756249?SThisFB

I think the proposal is a good idea.

Up until recently there were regulations about the minimum sizes of property per household - the formula was quite complex, and I forget the name of the legislation (I seem to think that it was named after someone).

I guess in this day and age, if a Government of any political party is introducing legislation that is of this nature, then I suspect there will be a large groundswell of popular opinion for it.

It is a good idea, but rogue landlords aren't ramming people in, they're offering rooms for rent and they are being taken up. It's OK banning something but there has to be an alternative, otherwise where are the tenants going to live?

The housing problems in the country show no signs of getting better and neither will they with a rising population.

I guess in this day and age, if a Government of any political party is introducing legislation that is of this nature, then I suspect there will be a large groundswell of popular opinion for it.

I agree that social housing must meet the needs of the people wanting it, if they can pay for it; but if they cannot pay for a nice house and garden, then other things that are cheaper must be made available.