Flu jab and viral illness

In general though, it's low. Vaccination uptake in England for 2013–2014 was only 54.8% for healthcare workers with direct patient contact.

(http://bmjopenrespres.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000079?cpetoc=&utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=_BMJ_Open_Resp_Res_TrendMD-0#ref-5)

Thats rather poor. If you dont have the flu jab in those circumstances I dont want you treating me, and I'd rather you found a different job thanks. In fact I'd make it a mandatory requirement of employment to have a flu vaccination.

Another BMJ (British medical journal) article here-

http://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k15/rr

"Official doubletalk hides serious problems with flu shot safety and effectiveness" by Allan S. Cunningham (Retired pediatrician)

Again, extremely critical of the flu vaccine, particularly forcing people to take it, and, of lack of evidence for its efficacy and safety.

He also mentions that he was once an advocate of the flu vaccine, but was disturbed by "bullying and doubletalk from vaccine authorities".

"Official doubletalk hides serious problems with flu shot safety and effectiveness" by Allan S. Cunningham (Retired pediatrician)

Again, extremely critical of the flu vaccine, particularly forcing people to take it, and, of lack of evidence for its efficacy and safety.

He also mentions that he was once an advocate of the flu vaccine, but was disturbed by "bullying and doubletalk from vaccine authorities".

Any article that dismisses proven science with words like "it may" and "it could" and "there could be" and "possibly" has as much credence as the Save the Spotted Owl society.....

Are you seriously going down the 'forced vaccination' road again?

I never used to bother with the flu job even though I could get it free at work.

One year I got flu and OMG ! I had no idea how so ill anyone could feel. I spent 3 days in bed only getting out to go to the toilet. Every single bone and joint in my body ached, I had a headache to end all headaches, sweating and shaking, blurred vision, stomach cramps and it even hurt to breath and cough. I seriously thought I was going to die. It took me almost 2 weeks to recover.

I haven't missed the flu jab a single year since that year and have been flu free ever since.

Never had any reaction to the jab except a bruised feeling in my arm for a day or so afterwards.

Edited by Daven

My doctor asked if i had the flu jab i said noand before i knew it she had jabbed me in the arm!! so glad i did touch wood i have had nothing so far this year including this recent virus whatever that is! will definitely have it next year and had no side effects, thanks Doc

Are you seriously going down the 'forced vaccination' road again?

The qualified medical professional who wrote the article in the British Medical Journal is saying that he is disturbed by "bullying and doubletalk from vaccine authorities".

As for me, I've been very clear that I totally oppose forced vaccination, and, that, like the 2 medical professionals I've recently quoted, am feeling increasingly disturbed that the day is approaching when healthworkers will have to choose between losing their job, or having to accept compulsory vaccination.

That's OK isn't it- I am allowed to express my opposition to compulsory vaccinations and concerns that there are increasing calls for it's implementation?

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 22:23 ----------

I never used to bother with the flu job even though I could get it free at work.

One year I got flu and OMG ! I had no idea how so ill anyone could feel. I spent 3 days in bed only getting out to go to the toilet. Every single bone and joint in my body ached, I had a headache to end all headaches, sweating and shaking, blurred vision, stomach cramps and it even hurt to breath and cough. I seriously thought I was going to die. It took me almost 2 weeks to recover.

I haven't missed the flu jab a single year since that year and have been flu free ever since.

Never had any reaction to the jab except a bruised feeling in my arm for a day or so afterwards.

It's interesting how the people who jump on purely anecdotal accounts presented as evidence by anti-vaccine posters, remain totally silent when anecdotal accounts are put forward by flu vaccine supporters :huh:

---------- Post added 31-01-2018 at 22:25 ----------

It's interesting how the people who jump on purely anecdotal accounts presented as evidence by anti-vaccine posters, remain totally silent when anecdotal accounts are put forward by flu vaccine supporters :huh:

Edited by onewheeldave

The qualified medical professional who wrote the article in the British Medical Journal is saying that he is disturbed by "bullying and doubletalk from vaccine authorities".

As for me, I've been very clear that I totally oppose forced vaccination, and, that, like the 2 medical professionals I've recently quoted, am feeling increasingly disturbed that the day is approaching when healthworkers will have to choose between losing their job, or having to accept compulsory vaccination.

That's OK isn't it- I am allowed to express my opposition to compulsory vaccinations and concerns that there are increasing calls for it's implementation?:

That's fine, apart from one slight problem. There are no calls for compulsory vaccinations, staff are encouraged to have the flu vaccination.

Edited by SnailyBoy

That's fine, apart from one slight problem. There are no calls for compulsory vaccinations.

Thats rather poor. If you dont have the flu jab in those circumstances I dont want you treating me, and I'd rather you found a different job thanks. In fact I'd make it a mandatory requirement of employment to have a flu vaccination.

There's one.

Here's more-

http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3414

"UK doctors re-examine case for mandatory vaccination"

(British Medical Journal report on the motion put forward at a British Medical Association meeting last year calling on the BMA to look at the advantages and disadvantages of making childhood immunisation mandatory, proposed by Farah Jameel, a general practitioner in London)

The motion, which also included a clause stating that the meeting “condemns anti-vaxxers who deny immunisations to their children,” was passed as a reference, rather than as a substantive motion

Many opposed the motion, saying-

Speaking as BMA chairman at the meeting, Mark Porter said the UK was already achieving immunisation levels high enough to achieve herd immunity. “The World Health Organization target for measles vaccination in order to induce [herd immunity] is 95%,” he said. “The latest figures in the UK from March 2017 indicate that 95.4% of children have received primary MMR vaccination on the schedules that are normally published. So, to that extent, we already exceed the WHO recommendation for measles vaccination in this country.

David Smith from the BMA’s Yorkshire regional council also said that doctors should be seeking to build trust rather than looking at making immunisation mandatory. “This is a group of people who are deeply distrustful of us,” he said. “This is a battle for their hearts and minds. And how are we choosing to do this? How are we choosing to battle for them? We’re going to ask this government whether we think it’s right to force treat their children. This is not the way.”

Smith said that listening to parents’ “ideas, concerns, and expectations over and over again” would enable doctors to win them around to the benefits of vaccination. “If we go to war with these concerned parents, they will never bring their kids to us again,” he said. “When those kids get ill and we can do something, we will not be given that opportunity

That makes a lot of sense :thumbsup:

Eleanor Draeger, deputy chair of the BMA’s consultants committee, supported the motion, telling the BMJ, after the meeting, that there were several options if mandatory vaccination should ever be introduced.

“I would support options such as not being able to attend state education, but I would not support any cut to benefits or fines,” she said. “Another option would be to replicate the policy in Australia, where vaccination is not compulsory but there is a financial reward offered to those whose children complete the vaccination programme.”

It is very much being debated, and very much called for.

There's one.

Here's more-

http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3414

"UK doctors re-examine case for mandatory vaccination"

(British Medical Journal report on the motion put forward at a British Medical Association meeting last year calling on the BMA to look at the advantages and disadvantages of making childhood immunisation mandatory, proposed by Farah Jameel, a general practitioner in London)

Many opposed the motion, saying-

That makes a lot of sense :thumbsup:

Eleanor Draeger, deputy chair of the BMA’s consultants committee, supported the motion, telling the BMJ, after the meeting, that there were several options if mandatory vaccination should ever be introduced.

It is very much being debated, and very much called for.

You were talking about health workers in the previous post.

As for child vaccines, unless there's a specific medical reason why not, I think they should be mandatory.