Flu jab and viral illness

Onewheeldave,

Written from my sick bed. Damnit ! I have a rotten cold.

I'm a bit puzzled by the above quote. Why would vaccinated people over the age of 65 be more likely to get the flu ?

Note: I am aware that ones immune system is less robust when 60+

You've just answered your own question....:)

---------- Post added 01-02-2018 at 10:24 ----------

No, that's not the dilemma being discussed in those articles- those doctors are questioning the efficacy of the flu vaccine. Patient safety vs personal choice is only relevant in the context of the flu vaccine being efficacious.

Are you proposing to demonstrate that the flu vaccine is not efficacious? There is a vast amount of published literature for you to overturn and prove false if that is the case....

No, that's not the dilemma being discussed in those articles- those doctors are questioning the efficacy of the flu vaccine. Patient safety vs personal choice is only relevant in the context of the flu vaccine being efficacious.

Okay, i'll put it another way.

If you were in hospital for an extended period of time, would you rather the healthcare workers who interacted with you had received the flu vaccine or not?

Snailboy,

Having spent the past year -on and off-visiting the cancer treatment ward of Western Park (Note: I've had my vaccination ).

I would say that personal choice vis-a-vis not to be vaccinated ,should be overruled

when it comes to staff caring for patients who are neutropenic from chemotherapy.