Flu jab and viral illness

You wont get the flu but you can have a reaction to the egg proteins that are present in them since they are derived from chicken eggs. I get a slight fever overnight every year when I have mine. Good excuse for a midnight whiskey and it's way way preferable to actually getting proper flu!

---------- Post added 11-11-2015 at 00:15 ----------

I've never heard such a steaming pile of utter tripe in a long time.

Smallpox. Wiped out due to vaccinations. Millions caught it every year. A third of all smallpox victims die.

Rinderpest in cattle. Wiped out due to vaccinations.

Polio - essentially eradicated due to vaccinations. Would be gone if thick twerps didn't think it was some subversive CIA program.

Measles. All but gone. How many kids get measles these days. Bog all. Unless of course, you are in a school where people decide to be "cool" and not vaccinate - then kids get measles and go blind, or have brain injuries, or die. Yes measles does kill, and it's got nasty complications if it doesn.

Diptheria... mumps.... pertussis.... tetanus.... rubella.... all these essentially unknown in the West now thanks to vaccinations.

Then a venal money grubbing lying corrupt little twerp called Andrew Wakefield came along and scared people with some bull about autism, and the sheep followed him. Please will you just sod off and go wherever he went and stop talking such utter utter crap.

Very well said chap ! :clap::clap:

There was a snippet on the radio this morning about GP's complaining they had full vaccine fridges - not because of oversupply but there was insufficient uptake. I recall you are in nursing Daven? is this true or not your area? I can just see when the mild weather ends and it suddenly drops cold there being an awful lot of people in hospital with seasonal flu if they never bothered getting vaccinated.

There was a snippet on the radio this morning about GP's complaining they had full vaccine fridges - not because of oversupply but there was insufficient uptake. I recall you are in nursing Daven? is this true or not your area? I can just see when the mild weather ends and it suddenly drops cold there being an awful lot of people in hospital with seasonal flu if they never bothered getting vaccinated.

I am a nurse but I work in a hospital environment and I know that the uptake of 'flu jabs has been very high in my clinical area by staff of all professions. The vaccine is offered free to 'frontline staff' and we are 'encouraged' to have the jab but it's still a choice. I had mine a few weeks ago - it was given to me by a colleague who visited the ward so no work time was wasted. I was absolutely fine afterwards by the way !

It's disappointing and surprising to hear that GP's are not being more proactive in getting more patients to have their jabs - especially if they are in 'high risk' groups such as the elderly and those with chronic health problems rather than just moaning that they have many vaccines left. Maybe community nurses should be allowed to carry them and offer them to patients they visit who are unable to get to the surgery - if this isn't already done ?

Or maybe they should promote the vaccine more - i.e., ask every patient who visits the surgery to have a jab and give it at the time rather than insisting patients come back another day at a time that is often inconvenient ?

Maybe we should be offering the vaccine to all our patients on the ward whist they are in hospital if they are well enough so as to 'catch' a few more ?

Edited by Daven

I have a weakened immune system (no spleen) it was taken out about 50 years ago after a road accident, I never had antibiotics which I believe all splenectomy patients now have to take. I have had my ups and downs but no major illness, although I have my suspicions that the H1N1 vaccine may have been the cause of my shingles afterwards, I have suffered ever since, I now have a nagging ache in my upper back where the shingles started and a grey area of skin which no gp seems to be able to explain. I know it probably is just coincidence, but every year when I need to go for the jab I'm very wary of having it.

I am a nurse but I work in a hospital environment and I know that the uptake of 'flu jabs has been very high in my clinical area by staff of all professions. The vaccine is offered free to 'frontline staff' and we are 'encouraged' to have the jab but it's still a choice. I had mine a few weeks ago - it was given to me by a colleague who visited the ward so no work time was wasted. I was absolutely fine afterwards by the way !

It's disappointing and surprising to hear that GP's are not being more proactive in getting more patients to have their jabs - especially if they are in 'high risk' groups such as the elderly and those with chronic health problems rather than just moaning that they have many vaccines left. Maybe community nurses should be allowed to carry them and offer them to patients they visit who are unable to get to the surgery - if this isn't already done ?

Or maybe they should promote the vaccine more - i.e., ask every patient who visits the surgery to have a jab and give it at the time rather than insisting patients come back another day at a time that is often inconvenient ?

Maybe we should be offering the vaccine to all our patients on the ward whist they are in hospital if they are well enough so as to 'catch' a few more ?

I've not seen a GP for about five years now - all my asthma is managed by the nurse practitioner and he gets to prescribe an awful lot of stuff it seems. On times when I have been there for something else, I get the vaccine tagged on at the end if I'm due so they are reasonably flexible.

I don't know when they changed to allow nurses to do this but it's made a huge difference to the GP's workload I'm sure and makes it far easier to get access to routine stuff. We were discussing the merits of beer when I was there and how a vaccine fridge would be just right for a six pack when he said the fridge he had was portable as he would regularly visit the retirement homes and do vaccinations and clinics there, so it seems they do let them vaccinate in the community.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 13:31 ----------

I have a weakened immune system (no spleen) it was taken out about 50 years ago after a road accident, I never had antibiotics which I believe all splenectomy patients now have to take. I have had my ups and downs but no major illness, although I have my suspicions that the H1N1 vaccine may have been the cause of my shingles afterwards, I have suffered ever since, I now have a nagging ache in my upper back where the shingles started and a grey area of skin which no gp seems to be able to explain. I know it probably is just coincidence, but every year when I need to go for the jab I'm very wary of having it.

Shingles is the chickenpox virus not the flu so the two would be unrelated.

I've not had shingles yet, although have had chickenpox... touch wood I don't. My grandpa had it and he used to complain a fair bit which for him would have meant it really was annoying him.

They heard from Doctors speaking out against this Orwell practice.....they believe the reduced welfare payments of parents who decide to not vaccinate their kids would lead to poorer health due to increased poverty.

As would the infectious diseases which the vaccines protect against - so vaccination will be a double-win.

I work with vulnerable children, and I believe I can have the flu vaccine for free. A friend has had it, and has been ill shortly afterwards, but I believe most say it is a good vaccine, so I may get it done.

I did ask at Boots, they they could not offer it for free, maybe I need to fill a form in.

[quote=Obelix;

Shingles is the chickenpox virus not the flu so the two would be unrelated.

I've not had shingles yet, although have had chickenpox... touch wood I don't. My grandpa had it and he used to complain a fair bit which for him would have meant it really was annoying him.

That's what I thought until I found a whole forum dedicated to the flu vaccine & shingles, my oh kept telling me to stop whinging, so I let it go for days until it became unbearable, the rash was spreading like wildfire, when I got to the docs on the Monday he immediately gave me an anti viral drug, but I think by that time it was too late, it's probably just coincidence, my MIL has the vaccine every year and at 89 has had no adverse effects at all.

I work with vulnerable children, and I believe I can have the flu vaccine for free. A friend has had it, and has been ill shortly afterwards, but I believe most say it is a good vaccine, so I may get it done.

I did ask at Boots, they they could not offer it for free, maybe I need to fill a form in.

Just ask your GP - they should give it to you. I think this year, England only they are trialling it at pharmacies but not sure all of them are in the program.