What Has Happened To The Left?

I was always to the left, especially when I was much younger. There's a saying that if you're not a communist by the time you're 18, there's something wrong with your heart. But if you're still one when you're 28 there's something wrong with your head.

I agree with this.

I always see the left as more compassionate as they argue for the rights of the poor and disadvantaged.

In recent years though they seem to have gotten very nasty, hateful really. Anyone with a different opinion is subject to a barrage of abuse.

I'm talking about the followers of the left, not the leaders like Corbyn etc.

This is most visible on the comments sections of newspapers....

Have you noticed?

The following article is worth a read.

https://medium.com/@bestofthemail/i-was-upvoted-for-posting-nazi-propaganda-about-migrants-in-the-daily-mail-8996899810b4

I don't accept that.

When someone sees me they know I'm British. When I see a brown eyed person, I know (mostly) that they are foreign or an ethnic minority and thus aren't British like me.

My family (and ancestors!!) have been in this country since it was founded in 1707.

I doesn't matter if you accept it or not, it's true.

You're no more or less British than any other citizen.

I don't accept that.

When someone sees me they know I'm British. When I see a brown eyed person, I know (mostly) that they are foreign or an ethnic minority and thus aren't British like me.

My family (and ancestors!!) have been in this country since it was founded in 1707.

Surely being British is defined by culture and not race.

I've know British citizens of various ethnic descents, but because they were born here, or have been here for many years, they are fully assimilated.

Unlike some places, there isn't really a British ethnicity to preserve. We've been exchanging DNA all over the world for far too long. Not sure I would see much value in it even if there was.

I can trace my British ancestry pretty much back to the Romans and Celts. I don't think it's important.

Immigration only really becomes a problem if you manage it poorly, or allow the rate so high that the newcomers don't assimilate. There's a string case to be made that this is happening right now to a worrying degree.

I doesn't matter if you accept it or not, it's true.

You're no more or less British than any other citizen.

It's more than a piece of paper - it's about cultural belonging, language and history.

Britain has always been populated by people from a certain demographic, like Africa has done.

Edited by RickyM

It's more than a piece of paper - it's about cultural belonging, language and history.

Britain has always been populated by people from a certain demographic, like Africa.

Yet when I asked you earlier to sum up your county's traditions and identity, you couldn't do it.

I think both sides have people who are easily led to be honest.

You just have to see the frenzy that a Guardian article or a Daily Mail article can generate, if they are packed with dog whistle phrases and subjects.

The problem with rthe rght, and this is where the thickness comes into it, is a frequent inability to see things in anything other than binary terms. This then drives all kinds of fallacious arguments.

:hihi::hihi:

That's a problem on both sides, as you've been told many many times

It just doesn't sink in because....well there's no nice way of saying it....because you are one of the people that it applies to!

Yet when I asked you earlier to sum up your county's traditions and identity, you couldn't do it.

I wouldn't do it as I knew the 'r' word would come up. I know it's on the tip of your tongue!!!

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 20:07 ----------

Surely being British is defined by culture and not race.

I've know British citizens of various ethnic descents, but because they were born here, or have been here for many years, they are fully assimilated.

Unlike some places, there isn't really a British ethnicity to preserve. We've been exchanging DNA all over the world for far too long. Not sure I would see much value in it even if there was.

I can trace my British ancestry pretty much back to the Romans and Celts. I don't think it's important.

Immigration only really becomes a problem if you manage it poorly, or allow the rate so high that the newcomers don't assimilate. There's a string case to be made that this is happening right now to a worrying degree.

It is important as you have a longer connection to this country than someone that arrived here last week and started claiming citizenship.