More Sheffield job losses?

For a Government supposedly interested in cutting the deficit they sure are making it difficult for this country to actually collect taxes...

The Treasury, who oversee HMRC, has already agreed a 40% cut in funding by 2020 and whatever reasons HMRC might give for doing this the bottom line is that they're cutting back on their offices, and the staff employed by them, to pay for that cut. Everything else is just window-dressing.

For a Government supposedly interested in cutting the deficit they sure are making it difficult for this country to actually collect taxes...

The Treasury, who oversee HMRC, has already agreed a 40% cut in funding by 2020 and whatever reasons HMRC might give for doing this the bottom line is that they're cutting back on their offices, and the staff employed by them, to pay for that cut. Everything else is just window-dressing.

The excuse is that reducing 170 offices to 13 will enable them to "do more for less"

In the long term I can see their plan, I bank online and never want to enter a bank building, but I have confidence in my bank's security protocols, experience has taught most people not to be confident in Govt gateways, so although HMRC insist on pushing people to online and digital there is still some way to go before persuading everyone.

And when was the last time a major Govt IT project was delivered on time, in budget, and worked....never

There are barely any large private sector employers in Sheffield, all the jobs are in Leeds and Manchester. Now the public sector jobs are moving away too, I do fear for the future of the city.

British Telecom

HSBC

Lloyds Banking Group

Sheffield Forgemasters

Sky

Capita

DLA Piper

Nabarro

Irwin Mitchell

Parexel

Siemens

Outokampu

ARUP Group

Arriva

Polestar

PlusNet

Virgin Media

SIG Group

Henry Boot

AON

.....hardly any is there. :rolleyes:

Added on to the significant Public Sector operations of the Home Office, DWP, Department for Education and the two universities, we are not exactly lacking.

If I had a pound for every time I hear on these forums "....waaaa Leeds has this..... Boo Hoo Manchester has that...."

God its so tiresome.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Great news. lost lots of high paid jobs and replace it will minimum wage ones. those betting firm will suck dry more of local people money

Might help if you read the article. These are back office and software development staff, hardly minimum wage jobs. Probably paid better than the people working in the tax office and more of them. Rumour has it Sky are taking on 200 extra staff in Sheffield.

British Telecom

HSBC

Lloyds Banking Group

Sheffield Forgemasters

Sky

Capita

DLA Piper

Nabarro

Irwin Mitchell

Parexel

Siemens

Outokampu

ARUP Group

Arriva

Polestar

PlusNet

Virgin Media

SIG Group

Henry Boot

AON

.....hardly any is there. :rolleyes:

Added on to the significant Public Sector operations of the Home Office, DWP, Department for Education and the two universities, we are not exactly lacking.

If I had a pound for every time I hear on these forums "....waaaa Leeds has this..... Boo Hoo Manchester has that...."

God its so tiresome.

Many of the firms listed have a relatively minor presence and/or offer mainly low paying call centre jobs. There are some notable exceptions but even allowing for them, Sheffield lags behind comparable cities.

It isn't about moaning, it's about pointing out the truth, and questioning why? Sheffield is a large city with a pretty central location and good motorway access. Why can't we compete with Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, Liverpool, etc etc?

Cumbernauld.

Unlikely -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34798266

More than 8,000 people are currently employed at the agency's 18 Scottish offices, including major centres in Dundee, Cumbernauld and East Kilbride.

HMRC said by 2021, a maximum of 6,300 staff would be based at new regional centres in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

---------- Post added 13-11-2015 at 09:52 ----------

Well I've commuted to Leeds before it's not that hard. If you can't find a job in this city commute.

Don't be ridiculous.

Why should anyone have to go to Leeds to get to a tax office?

Might help if you read the article. These are back office and software development staff, hardly minimum wage jobs. Probably paid better than the people working in the tax office and more of them. Rumour has it Sky are taking on 200 extra staff in Sheffield.

Sky bet. They've been hiring IT staff for 6 months now. Currently located in temporary offices at the Electric works, but with the intention to move to their own office space I believe.

Tax jobs moving to Leeds won't be a loss of jobs anyway. It's unlikely to involve any compulsory redundancy, and anyone that wants to keep their job will just relocate that job to Leeds and commute.

---------- Post added 13-11-2015 at 11:33 ----------

Don't be ridiculous.

Why should anyone have to go to Leeds to get to a tax office?

Why should anyone apart from the staff need "to get" to a tax office at all?

Sky bet. They've been hiring IT staff for 6 months now. Currently located in temporary offices at the Electric works, but with the intention to move to their own office space I believe.

Tax jobs moving to Leeds won't be a loss of jobs anyway. It's unlikely to involve any compulsory redundancy, and anyone that wants to keep their job will just relocate that job to Leeds and commute.

---------- Post added 13-11-2015 at 11:33 ----------

Why should anyone apart from the staff need "to get" to a tax office at all?

To talk to a tax officer or tax inspector?