Margaret Thatcher would recoil at today's inequality.

Mrs Thatcher shut down industry, impoverished whole communities, caused the underclass, sold off the family silver, squandered the income from North sea oil, and deregulated the banks which led to the chaos we have today.

I couldn't agree more. That woman is soley responsible for destroying local communities in the area I live and it's not Yorkshire.

She caused the underclass? Do you not think the underclass existed before Thatcher? What an incredibly naive claim to make.

Yes, I think she did.

Before Thatcher we lived in a time of almost full employment. There were some unemployed, but it was considered quite shameful and never acceptable to stay on benefits for any length of time, nor any excuse for doing so, as there were always jobs available. It was possible (I know because I did it,) to leave a job on the Friday, knock on a few doors, make a few phonecalls, and have a job to go to on the Monday. There were jobs at all levels and it was a lot simpler then.

Having a sudden explosion of several thousands of people all dumped on the jobs market at the same time, in the same place, and only qualified for one type of job put a stop to that. Unemployment rocketed to 4 million (unofficial figures) and you couldn't get a job for love or money. Whole communities were decimated. People began to be unemployed long term. Confidence plumeted and bitterness set in. If you weren't in a position to up sticks and move, or too old to retrain, you had virtually no chance of getting another job. Eventually people just gave up and settled for a life on benefits.

This inevitably became a way of life in some communities (Scunthorpe may well go the same way,) and the underclass had arrived.

Not naive at all. I watched it happen.

Yes, I think she did.

Before Thatcher we lived in a time of almost full employment. There were some unemployed, but it was considered quite shameful and never acceptable to stay on benefits for any length of time, nor any excuse for doing so, as there were always jobs available. It was possible (I know because I did it,) to leave a job on the Friday, knock on a few doors, make a few phonecalls, and have a job to go to on the Monday. There were jobs at all levels and it was a lot simpler then.

Having a sudden explosion of several thousands of people all dumped on the jobs market at the same time, in the same place, and only qualified for one type of job put a stop to that. Unemployment rocketed to 4 million (unofficial figures) and you couldn't get a job for love or money. Whole communities were decimated. People began to be unemployed long term. Confidence plumeted and bitterness set in. If you weren't in a position to up sticks and move, or too old to retrain, you had virtually no chance of getting another job. Eventually people just gave up and settled for a life on benefits.

This inevitably became a way of life in some communities (Scunthorpe may well go the same way,) and the underclass had arrived.

Not naive at all. I watched it happen.

So the underclass didn't exist before 1979? After all it couldn't have done if Thatcher created it right? Bloody Dickens and his lies about society pre thatcher, I have a mind to write a strongly worded letter of complaint.

The industries that were impacted most during her rule were already declining at an alarming rate. The two terms of Labour Government under Wilson resulted in just over half of the mining job losses than in Thatchers three terms, so the jobs lost per year on average were only a bit higher under Thatcher. Can you not remember this? Moreover, the redundancy packages offered under Thatcher were more generous than those offered under Wilson.

There was no saving the mining industry, it was too heavily subsidised by the state. It was costly, inefficient and dirty to mine coal here, plus the UK was moving away from its dependence on coal.

No one can deny that the mines needed to be closed, though it should have been handled better. Any objective observer would admit that the militancy of the Unions forced the government's hand.

No one can deny that the mines needed to be closed, though it should have been handled better. .

That is the crux. Although the unions had got out of control, the crushing of them was done with animosity and no though for the fallout to ordinary working people and their dependant communities.

No one can deny that the mines needed to be closed, though it should have been handled better. .

That is the crux. Although the unions had got out of control, the crushing of them was done with animosity and no though for the fallout to ordinary working people and their dependant communities.

It is highly debatable whether you can call the strike a strike. Ballots for strike action were held three times and each time the strikes were rejected. This was not a democratic movement, most of the miners wanted to work but we're forcibly stopped working by a minority. Some people were even murdered by the militants for trying to provide for their families.

Imagine if a minority of people at your work wanted to strike and three times they tried to and three times they were outvoted. You turned up to work one morning and this same minority of people were outside your place of work, stopping you from going in and threatening you with violence should you do so How would you want the government to treat these militants?

It's thanks to her and her gov that this country no longer has enough council homes, hense the bedroom tax we now have. Which is a reason so many have taken their own lives rather than live on the streets when they can't afford to pay it out of their £72 per week and get evicted. Just so some freeloader from the EU can have their homes.

Nor do we have any mining, steel or ship-building jobs thanks to her. She was the start of the rot.

Absolute tosh :rolleyes: