How long does it take from ordering to installing a new kitchen

Hi All,

We plan to have a new kitchen done early next year, but not sure how long will it take from place the kitchen units order to complete the installation (ready to use). The new kitchen room size about 5mx4m and 7-10 kitchen units maybe.

As we are still living in the house while doing the new kitchen, so hope to get a rough idea how long will need to rely on take-away :)

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions.

Or more likely much longer than that :-)

I've only anecdotes to offer, but I've had 2 kitchens fitted, both have taken north of 5 weeks.

Perhaps it depends on details, both times I've had a quartz work surface, which takes 2 weeks to be made from template, which can't be done until the units are all in.

I've used Sheaf Valley Kitchens a couple of times. They were very good.

The installation was well organised and quick (3-4 days), then time for decorating/tiling/flooring.

Because they're in demand we had to wait several months for our installation slot, this was fine.

The first one is now 11 years old and still like new.

Don't rush it as you'll hopefully have it for years to come.

You haven't said if you are talking about just installing the kitchen or if moving plumbing, electrics or gas is involved too. Are you including tiling and flooring in this time? It also depends on how many people are working on the job.

Once the kitchen is installed it will take you a while to wipe and re fill the cupboards. If I were you, I would cook double dinners and freeze half so you only have to defrost and microwave up while doing the kitchen. Its amazing how full the rest of the house gets when you empty a room to 'decorate'. In my experience the installation take much less time than it takes to empty a room before you can start and get it back to normal after the re furb. I used to do this a lot to move up the housing ladder......I hate it now.

• 3 weeks later...
You haven't said if you are talking about just installing the kitchen or if moving plumbing, electrics or gas is involved too. Are you including tiling and flooring in this time? It also depends on how many people are working on the job.

Once the kitchen is installed it will take you a while to wipe and re fill the cupboards. If I were you, I would cook double dinners and freeze half so you only have to defrost and microwave up while doing the kitchen. Its amazing how full the rest of the house gets when you empty a room to 'decorate'. In my experience the installation take much less time than it takes to empty a room before you can start and get it back to normal after the re furb. I used to do this a lot to move up the housing ladder......I hate it now.

Thanks Chez2 for the double dinner suggestion. I foresee it will take quite long time as the new kitchen does include moving plumbing an gas...we won't go for fancy expensive worktop and hopefully can have two fitters work the same time?

Glad I could help. I regularly make double dinners. While the oven or slow cooker is on it makes sense to fill it up and frees up time on other days. It also uses up large bags of veg which may otherwise go to waste.

I also blanch or cook any excess veg and freeze it in single or double portions. I will be doing a large batch of parmesan parsnips soon for xmas dinner.

Don't forget to label the containers or bags with contents and date made so you don't get the wrong thing out of the freezer.