Jeremy Clarkson sued

Why not? He was a senior producer wasn't he? According to a rapid Google, average salary for a TV producer is £35k. If he was suing for lost income and reputation etc as part of the claim then 3 years' salary doesn't sound out of proportion to me.

It depends on how it's been worked. I'll be honest, I've not read the report although even that won't have the full detail.

I can't see that a punch can cause any real time off work - perhaps a day or two. You would have to prove that there was a causal link between the actions complained of and the loss suffered. To argue that three years' lost earnings was caused by one punch would be very difficult.

The damages for his injuries would be very limited indeed. Perhaps £1000 or so. Unless he caused significant injuries, there just isn't a large PSLA claim there at all.

These things are always, always reported including costs, as it ups the figure and makes a more dramatic headline.

I'm glad the producer got a payout, (I've no opinion on the amount,) but I'm curious to know why the BBC, ie. us, the licence payers, paid part of it. Jeremy Clarkson hit the bloke, Jeremy Clarkson should have paid all of it plus costs.
vicarious liability. As he was working at the time [#], he was under their employ and therefore liable.

Same as any of us - if I make a mistake at work, Im not personally liable

[#] debatable whether he was at work, as it happened in a pub, but I guess being on location covered this

I'm glad the producer got a payout, (I've no opinion on the amount,) but I'm curious to know why the BBC, ie. us, the licence payers, paid part of it. Jeremy Clarkson hit the bloke, Jeremy Clarkson should have paid all of it plus costs.

As the Beeb was his employer, they would have had the good old egg, "duty of care" to their employees I suppose, maybe that had a bearing on the case.

I'd rather the Irish guy gave him a wallop back, then settled the affair over a pint or three in the Hotel.

Angel1.

As the Beeb was his employer, they would have had the good old egg, "duty of care" to their employees I suppose, maybe that had a bearing on the case.

I'd rather the Irish guy gave him a wallop back, then settled the affair over a pint or three in the Hotel.

Angel1.

I would too or rather he sought to prosecute Clarkson there and then rather than waiting so he could milk the situation and get a bit of money out of it.

I would too or rather he sought to prosecute Clarkson there and then rather than waiting so he could milk the situation and get a bit of money out of it.

Isn't it the CPS who prosecute people? Or are you suggesting he took out a private prosecution?

The payout does seem grossly disproportionate to the injury sustained. If you compare it to the Criminal Injury Compensation scheme, he'd have had to have lost both arms to get an equivalent payout.

Really have no idea why licence fees are being given away for this.