Pubs in brightside

jamestee

My Father owned the Railway Hotel from about 1955 to 1960. His name was Nicky Mckeown. I remember growing up there and my first day at the infants school on I think it was Junction (or Jenkin) road. Going to the grocery shop with a food voucher to buy butter and watching the man pat the butter into a square and then wrapping it. The pub was two rooms with no bar just a tiny room at the back that the beer pumps and bottled drinks were. Just a beer licence no spirits. Dad had to carry all the drinks to the customers. He had made a white coat with leather lined pockets for the coins and the note went in his top pockets. I have a picture of the tiny bar with Dad in it. He also worked at the Ready Mix Concrete on brightside road.

I can forward a copy of the print if you give me an email address.

Mick in Australia

:hihi:

Here is a link to the photo. The bottles of Gilmour's Golden Pale Ale, Jubilee Stout and Red Label Bass bring back memories! :)

My workmate liked Jubilee, but I preferred Mackeson.

Didn't know milk stout was recommended for nursing mothers in 1875 though and probably would have gone off it pretty quick aged 17 :hihi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackeson_Stout

Edited by PeterR

:hihi:

My workmate liked Jubilee, but I preferred Mackeson.

Didn't know milk stout was recommended for nursing mothers in 1875 though and probably would have gone off it pretty quick aged 17 :hihi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackeson_Stout

'Jubilee' was I think brewed at the former 'Hope & Anchor' site on Claywheels Lane. Stout, which 'Guinness' also is, was used in hospitals for anemia or to fortify breast feeding. I worked sometimes ,as a contractor at Whitbread's, Lady's Bridge from 1972-1981 and if they had 'Mackeson' there -I didn't imbibe their free products-that is news to me. Both those Sheffield breweries independent of each other.

I was hospitalised many years ago, aged 18 years.

The doc thought I had a collapsed lung, but it turned out it was pleurisy.

I remember being offered a can of Guinness in the evening.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven.:)

'Jubilee' was I think brewed at the former 'Hope & Anchor' site on Claywheels Lane. Stout, which 'Guinness' also is, was used in hospitals for anemia or to fortify breast feeding. I worked sometimes ,as a contractor at Whitbread's, Lady's Bridge from 1972-1981 and if they had 'Mackeson' there -I didn't imbibe their free products-that is news to me. Both those Sheffield breweries independent of each other.

Mackeson is or was a Whitbread product but don't know if it was brewed at Ladysbridge, Gold Label aka barley wine certainly was and it could be had on draught in the early 80's but only at the Ladysbridge pub on the brewery premises.