Shootings and explosions in Paris

Poll added in error  

1. 1. Poll added in error

• Y
    • N

To develop a scholar level understanding yes, but that isn't what I said. Studying scripture will absolutely increase your understanding of Islam, the amount of understanding you gain will be in correlation to the amount of studying you do.

You only need a small level of understanding of Islam, gained perhaps by reading the Qu'ran just once, to understand it is far from peaceful.

Moreover saying "a bit" is a well know turn of phrase.

I think that by casually studying a subject, more often than not you will miss the context of the quotes, so all you'll do is confirm what pre-existing ideas that you had in the first place.

For example, if you believe that Islam is a religion of peace, your study will confirm this and vice versa with the opinion that Islam is the religion of violence.

---------- Post added 14-11-2015 at 11:02 ----------

You don't develop any meaningful understanding of Islam by studying the scriptures either a bit or a lot. The meaningful understanding comes from studying the outcomes. How do you think it is doing?

I think that Islam is going the way of all the other extreme ideologies. Consumerism it seems will conquer all. The Islamic extremists know this as well, hence all the hate coming our way.

I think that by casually studying a subject, more often than not you will miss the context of the quotes, so all you'll do is confirm what pre-existing ideas that you had in the first place.

For example, if you believe that Islam is a religion of peace, your study will confirm this and vice versa with the opinion that Islam is the religion of violence.

My original point was that it was difficult to understand someone who has read the Qu'ran thinking that Islam is a religion of peace. You point to confirmation bias, which of course plays it's part, but it's existance shouldn't mean that one shouldn't study things.

However, this thread shouldn't be concerned with overly bashing Islam, the original post I made condemned foreign policy of the west as well.

Edited by runningman1
Bloody Samsung S5 has the worst auto correct!

My original point was that it was difficult to understand someone who has read the Qu'ran thinking that Islam is a religion of peace. You point to confirmation bias, which of course plays it's part, but it's exist an e shouldn't mean that one shouldn't study things.

However, this thread shouldn't be concerned with overly bashing Islam, the original post I made condemned foreign policy of the west as well.

There's truth in this, but the same case can be made against the Torah and the Bible.

The real problem in Islam is with the Hadith. A moderate muslim endorses different parts of the Hadith from a fundamentalist. Clean up the Hadith and all should be well.

I think the time has come for the EU to abandon the Schengen free movement of people thing as its just too dangerous now. Get back to border controls.

Edited by Guest

I think the time has come for the EU to abandon the Schengen free movement of people thing as its just too dangerous now. Get back to border controls.

A border the size of France's can't be controlled properly anyway. A better start would be to stop murdering Muslims and to monitor places of worship for incitefull speech.

I think that Islam is going the way of all the other extreme ideologies. Consumerism it seems will conquer all. The Islamic extremists know this as well, hence all the hate coming our way.

At least you acknowledge that Islam is an extreme ideology. Many people still believe it is the religion of peace.

Stop drawing pictures of Mohammed as well.

I disagree with that actually. I do not want to go down a route that leads to a list of things that you can and can't draw.

Interestingly, the Qu'ran says nothing about this topic and Bukhari (a hadith) prohibits the drawing of any figures (this would surely include taking photos of figures too).

It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you stop killing people, they will probably stop killing you.

Who had Alan Henning killed?

IS is a death cult. Ultimately they want a world wide caliphate. At some point they have to be stopped.

If you stop bombing them in Syria you are hoping that Assad can stop them or you are delaying confronting them.

They have to be wiped out one way or another.

Edited by Jonny5