Shootings and explosions in Paris

Poll added in error  

1. 1. Poll added in error

• Y
    • N

exactly, they lied, 'he jumped the barrier, he failed to stop...'

He didn't.

I completely get why they did it, I even think it would be preferable to a suicide bombing, but they had to 'sex' up their story with lies.

The problem now is that people treat the incident still as if Jean was in the wrong, and didn't comply without acknowledging the fact he was not. It's an insult to him to ever let it be in any way phrased otherwise.

Regardless of anything.

Based purely on news snippets I have seen, the French police, BRI and security forces seem to be doing a very professional job of sorting out the culprits and sweeping up these suspects, dead or alive, very commendable. I hope ours can do the same if god forbid the need arises !

If those officers thought they had made the right decision why did they lie in subsequent interviews about their actions that day? Clearly with hindsight they made the wrong call, but there was enough evidence on the day to make them think twice wasn't there? Why didn't they say he's just walking to the train normally, or he used his oyster card, or anything else that showed he was just being quite 'normal'? Perhaps, only perhaps, if they'd flagged that up to Gold Command, different decisions might have been made? Who knows?

And who knows which version of the truth you chose to believe.

If on Friday night in Paris, some special forces who had been monitoring internet and phones had suspected that several of the folk they knew had terrorist links were looking rather heavier than normal and were heading towards crowded areas, a few rounds of 9mm might well have saved 100 innocent lives. Who knows? I'm not about to second guess the security services or assume that they will release full details of their operations to the general public. (That's us by the way)

---------- Post added 18-11-2015 at 16:56 ----------

Based purely on news snippets I have seen, the French police, BRI and security forces seem to be doing a very professional job of sorting out the culprits and sweeping up these suspects, dead or alive, very commendable. I hope ours can do the same if god forbid the need arises !

I suspect that all that has changed in the last 7 days is the level of proof required before going after the guys who have been on the radar for months has reduced somewhat.

Put it this way, if the police saw an identified suicide bomber (not a guy running for his train on his way to work) and they had a chance to shoot him before he got near any people, then they should do. But they still don't need to kill him at that stage. Shoot him in the legs so he can't get near anyone. He can still blow his bomb up if he likes but he'll be the only one dead.
just been talking about this today at work with the woman suicide bomber who blew her self up this morning. what would happen if the police had shot her and was still alive to make sure they don't get injured themselves do they just shoot her again to make sure shes dead or do they send in the remote control bomb disposal thingy and blow her up ?

And who knows which version of the truth you chose to believe.

If on Friday night in Paris, some special forces who had been monitoring internet and phones had suspected that several of the folk they knew had terrorist links were looking rather heavier than normal and were heading towards crowded areas, a few rounds of 9mm might well have saved 100 innocent lives. Who knows? I'm not about to second guess the security services or assume that they will release full details of their operations to the general public. (That's us by the way)

---------- Post added 18-11-2015 at 16:56 ----------

I suspect that all that has changed in the last 7 days is the level of proof required before going after the guys who have been on the radar for months has reduced somewhat.

That may probably be the case in the incidents since Friday night, but having read about how they dealt with the hostage situation at The Bataclan, I am very impressed with them, calm, professional and lethal !

That may probably be the case in the incidents since Friday night, but having read about how they dealt with the hostage situation at The Bataclan, I am very impressed with them, calm, professional and lethal !

But how many did they arrest and bring in for questioning and to be put on trial?

---------- Post added 18-11-2015 at 17:31 ----------

He's right but so obviously right it's a pointless observation. Of course we shouldn't shoot people. It's horrible. On that me and jezza agree. But back on planet earth we may or may not have terrorist threats on our street who made need to shot so other people don't die.

If he's got an alternative go for it (after all that's his job) but if not stop coming out with pointless statements. He's worse than Bono.

I suppose it all depends what day you choose to agree or disagree with Jezza. His policy on everything can change every few days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34840708

Jeremy Corbyn backtracks on 'shoot-to-kill' policy

Could you imagine being in the security services and having to answer to Corbyn? "What's the policy today? I've got the bad guy in the cross hairs"

Edited by exxon

But how many did they arrest and bring in for questioning and to be put on trial?[COLOR="Silver"]

[/color]

I suppose it all depends what day you choose to agree or disagree with Jezza. His policy on everything can change every few days.

Could you imagine being in the security services and having to answer to Corbyn? "What's the policy today? I've got the bad guy in the cross hairs"

Some have been arrested, however in a hostage situation arresting the culprits is extremely difficult ;)

But how many did they arrest and bring in for questioning and to be put on trial?

He's struggling to keep up with the pace of things but isn't there an important message about not diving headlong into military action.

We've been there before remember and it went horribly wrong.

Maybe we need time to formulate a coherent plan.

If on Friday night in Paris, some special forces who had been monitoring internet and phones had suspected that several of the folk they knew had terrorist links were looking rather heavier than normal and were heading towards crowded areas.....

Do you really think the police would have had everyone they knew had terrorist links under surveillance, including their mobile numbers? Anyone can buy a mobile at any time under a false name or just borrow one. How many police do you think there are to constantly monitor all suspects?

He's struggling to keep up with the pace of things but isn't there an important message about not diving headlong into military action.

We've been there before remember and it went horribly wrong.

Maybe we need time to formulate a coherent plan.

Syria has been a very nasty war zone for a number of years now. Paris might be a catalyst for more decisive action but it's hardly been sprung on us like Libya that rattled on at a phenomenal speed - areas being lost and won daily. Syria hasn't budged much at all. Just a lot of people dead, and now dead in the west, arguably because we haven't done anything worthwhile in four years.