Shootings and explosions in Paris

Poll added in error  

1. 1. Poll added in error

• Y
    • N

The Quran was revealed over 1400 years ago, in a historical context tribal conquest, rape and murder was the norm.

The problem arises when people read the Quran in a non historical context.

The Quran isn't to blame it's the readers who interpret it wrong that are the problem.

That's more helpful. You got it.

The Quran was revealed over 1400 years ago, in a historical context tribal conquest, rape and murder was the norm.

The Quran isn't to blame it's the readers who interpret it wrong that are the problem.

That is a very intelligent, if not very Islamic, way to look at things. The Qu'ran is supposed to be the final, and UNALTERABLE, word of God. Revisionism is not permitted. Muslims are supposed to aspire to live like Muhammed, not what they think Muhammed would be like if he lived today.

I would also think that war, conquest and murder are just as common today as they were then.

I in no way want to suggest that Islam is completely to blame for recent events, but it must take its share of the blame. We all live on this planet together and I believe the first step to doing so is to take a look at ourselves, admit our failings and work on them. The secular West needs to do this just as much as the Islamic world.

The Christian bible is full of killing, retribution and punishment. Some of the mass killings and genocide described as actually being carried out by God.

It clearly condones killing of non-believers:

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.

The Quran is not unique in this respect, and as we know anyway it builds on the New and Old testaments.

I watched Manchester United beat Watford today, and also the tribute to France with a giant tricolor and the playing of La Marseillaise. It was a genuine and decent thing to do and I don't disagree with it in any way. But in a way, the song expresses a desire to rid France of aristocrats with violence. It led to the Reign of Terror and the murder of many innocent people. It is a superb piece of music and I'm always glad to hear it or sing it, but maybe its history is not quite right for this horrible event.

The Christian bible is full of killing, retribution and punishment. Some of the mass killings and genocide described as actually being carried out by God.

It clearly condones killing of non-believers:

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.

The Quran is not unique in this respect, and as we know anyway it builds on the New and Old testaments.

My problem is this .

Here we have two books /fairytales that cause more grief and violence than any army could ever cause. Why are some people incapable of living their lives without having to be told what they can and cannot do by some stupid book ?

Live life how you see fit and put down the religious comics , they just cause grief.

My problem is this .

Here we have two books /fairytales that cause more grief and violence than any army could ever cause. Why are some people incapable of living their lives without having to be told what they can and cannot do by some stupid book ?

Live life how you see fit and put down the religious comics , they just cause grief.

But its not really the books, its the people who decide they want to wield some sort of power and use religion as an excuse.

My problem is this .

Easy to say when you haven't been brainwashed by family since birth.

As some people have, it's very real to them so should be respected, yet open to debate.

Edited by WiseOwl182

My problem is this .

For the most part the books are simple guides that can help people to some extent.

The problems happen when people become extreme believers in them.

But if this was the word of god he would have been aware of all this and mentioned it in the text. Wheras if it were just the made up words of some average Joe in the local cafe he probably wouldn't have anticipated progress.

I think if I'd been a god dictating such important instructions I might have mentioned forming armed mobs who go around murdering in my name wasn't a great idea.

Edited by exxon

But if this was the word of god he would have been aware of all this and mentioned it in the text. Wheras if it were just the made up words of some average Joe in the local cafe he probably wouldn't have anticipated progress.

I think if I'd been a god dictating such important instructions I might have mentioned forming armed mobs who go around murdering in my name wasn't a great idea.

There's so much freeked up irony and reversed psychology in there, it's hard to know where to start with any of that Mr Smith/Drummonds logic.