75th Anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz

Ghoulish, needless, nationalistic and dripping with sickening sentimentality. There are better things to devote one's time to than this but it's what stands for entertainment at the moment.

It would be fantastic if we could just move on from this without feeling the need to drag the past up at every opportunity.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/edmundburk382368.html?src=t_history

It really is quite simple - you're kidding me yes ?

I think I do get your point but for some reason instead of just writing it you provided a link to a quote on a scenic background. I assume using somebody else's words is an attempt to provide some gravitas. I just find it irksome.

So, I'll also assume that in your roundabout way, what you are saying is that we should educate people in history in order to prevent the bad things that have occurred previously from happening again.

Am I right so far?

I shall respond.

I do not disagree with you. I think it is noble and sensible to educate others on the horrors of the past. My problem is with how a show like this actually is more about feeding our hunger for sentimentality and only serves to romantacise the events that took place. I do not feel comfortable with this at all. I believe there are better ways of communicating the message than turning it into an 'event'.

I think I do get your point but for some reason instead of just writing it you provided a link to a quote on a scenic background. I assume using somebody else's words is an attempt to provide some gravitas. I just find it irksome.

So, I'll also assume that in your roundabout way, what you are saying is that we should educate people in history in order to prevent the bad things that have occurred previously from happening again.

Am I right so far?

I shall respond.

I do not disagree with you. I think it is noble and sensible to educate others on the horrors of the past. My problem is with how a show like this actually is more about feeding our hunger for sentimentality and only serves to romantacise the events that took place. I do not feel comfortable with this at all. I believe there are better ways of communicating the message than turning it into an 'event'.

I too will respond.

The quote is a very well known one by Edmund Burke which is relevant to the debate. 'Using someone elses words' is nothing to do with providing gravitas as much as reinforcing what has been discussed earlier in the thread. The fact it is set on a 'scenic background' is irrelevant - the quote should be your focus.

What 'better ways of communicating the message' would you suggest ?

Edited by Daven

I too will respond.

The quote is a very well known one by Edmund Burke which is relevant to the debate. 'Using someone elses words' is nothing to do with providing gravitas as much as reinforcing what has been discussed earlier in the thread. The fact it is set on a 'scenic background' is irrelevant - the quote should be your focus.

The quote is needless and detracts from the debate. I will focus on the issue and not on some superfluous item.

What 'better ways of communicating the message' would you suggest ?

There is plenty of literature and newsreel available already detailing the events. The use of social media and the internet can be used to raise awareness (you and I are already doing this). This is one suggestion, feel free to critique as I have with the planned event.

The quote is needless and detracts from the debate. I will focus on the issue and not on some superfluous item.

There is plenty of literature and newsreel available already detailing the events. The use of social media and the internet can be used to raise awareness (you and I are already doing this). This is one suggestion, feel free to critique as I have with the planned event.

I presume that because this event is not to your taste,you would also find D Day and Remembrance events distasteful also..........this does not make your opinion right,just different to other peoples commemorative views on the subject!

I presume that because this event is not to your taste,you would also find D Day and Remembrance events distasteful

You presume wrongly. The nature of the event is not to my taste. This does not necessarily mean that I find other commemorative events distasteful. The very notion is ridiculous.

also..........this does not make your opinion right,just different to other peoples commemorative views on the subject!

Indeed! It is my opinion which I am expressing on this public-access internet forum. Other people are expressing opinions different to mine and for the most part, discussion is taking place. Isn't this wonderful?

................yawn!!! think i need a beer!

I do not know you personally (as far as I am aware) but I am sure you are better than this contribution to the discussion indicates.

• 3 weeks later...