75th Anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz

Total let down. I drove to Kenninghall Road and saw a couple of lights but they seemed to flicker and no siren.

From what I've been told, the generator powering one of the searchlights was louder than the siren... :rolleyes:

Probably a slight exaggeration but...

Really disappointed tonight. I turned every light off to remember those 75 years ago and the council just left every light on they could. 2 mins of lights out wouldn't have hurt. My parents were young children in the blitz, aged 6 and 10, they would have been so frightened, may the people who died RIP. Feel so let down by our council but too late now.

Edited by nernard

From what I've been told, the generator powering one of the searchlights was louder than the siren... :rolleyes:

Probably a slight exaggeration but...

Nope not an exaggeration as I've seen a video lol. Look on facebook for a group called "Pictures Of Sheffield Old And New" someone uploaded a video

My Mother was 10 years old when the bombs started dropping on Sheffield.

I made a special trip with my family to South Street over looking the city centre. Got there at 6.38pm. The lights were already shining but not very visible. It was cloudy. 7pm came and heard nothing. 7.15pm came and I heard a very faint siren but only for a short while, a few seconds. It sounded like the siren that goes off on Leopold Street at 1pm everyday above the jewellers.

Extremely disappointing in all of this to be honest.

There were so many people that came to watch on South Street of all ages. Many had tripods and cameras. The atmosphere fell flat at around 7.20pm and people started to leave.

I remember in the 80's the sirens going off. I was only young and very scared. Apparently if I remember rightly I was told they were in the Manor Top area and went off by accident.

This is what I was expecting tonight.

Like others, bit disappointed, about 1000 people there, pretty impressive orginal searchlights, but with the cloud not powerful enough, not enought to see, the crowd was respectful, lots of familes, pensioners and children, after the siren, but there was no direction for the two minutes silence, so they clapped sadly before the all clear. They are still using the searchlights, can see them from S7, weird thing is they were packing away the modern more powerful lights when we got there.

My suggestions:, get some creative artists in, use projectors, soundscapes, maybe reminisces, make sure the council turns the flippin spotlights off! use a modern siren after the original, ditto searchlights, ensure the fire brigrade uses its sirens, they are only around the corner, I have to say Liverpool would have made much more of it.

Still, kudos to them for taking it on.

Edited by gamezone07

Like others, bit disappointed, about 1000 people there, pretty impressive orginal searchlights, but with the cloud not powerful enough, not enought to see, the crowd was respectful, lots of familes, pensioners and children, after the siren, but there was no direction for the two minutes silence, so they clapped sadly before the all clear. They are still using the searchlights, can see them from S7, weird thing is they were packing away the modern more powerful lights when we got there.

My suggestions:, get some creative artists in, use projectors, soundscapes, maybe reminisces, make sure the council turns the flippin spotlights off! use a modern siren after the original, ditto searchlights, ensure the fire brigrade uses its sirens, they are only around the corner, I have to say Liverpool would have made much more of it.

Still, kudos to them for taking it on.

I take your points but my personal suggestion would be to make sure that there are enough people interested in the event in the first place.

Makes sure its advertised more than just on facebook and an online forum. I only found out about it by chance on here and would not have heard a peep otherwise.

Make sure that people actually want to have street lights turned off and sirens blasting out (Even as a mark of respect). I suspect if you asked there would be plenty that wouldn't

People work, people shop, people spend their weekends at sporting events, people spend time with their family at a weekend. Add on we are in the middle of peak shopping time for Christmas and I think the whole concept was slightly flawed.

People as usual are having a go at the council but to me, it was poorly executed and not wanted by enough people.