Watered down beer in Sheffield

banjodeano

We were invited to a party in a busy pub on West St, we were not that bothered now we are knocking on, but thought we should make the effort.

I ordered a pint of John Smiths smooth, and although John Smiths has never been a strong beer, i was shocked at the poor quality...clearly watered down, the second pint was exactly the same, after that a tried some lagers and was not overly impressed with them either.

Is the watering down of drinks a common practice these days? i have always heard about people watering drinks down, but never knowingly witnessing it first hand..until last night

I would say its myth the watering down of drinks. It is somthing i have herd people talk about but have never thought this pint is watered down and have worked at pubs clubs all over sheffield.

and neither had I, but i swear it was like drinking water, thinking it may be watered down with water in the pipes..the second pint was exactly the same....:mad:

heard of pubs putting as much as 2 gallons of water in a barrel, so yes, it does happen. as trading standards tend to visit during the week in the daytime, there is little chance of getting caught if those barrels are only used on weekend nights. most of the customers are half baked youngsters who would not notice if they were served a pint of urine.

and neither had I, but i swear it was like drinking water, thinking it may be watered down with water in the pipes..the second pint was exactly the same....:mad:

Thats very poor and think it costs to much to drink in town anyway without rubbish beer. Dif you not speak to the bar staff ?

I would say its myth the watering down of drinks. It is somthing i have herd people talk about but have never thought this pint is watered down and have worked at pubs clubs all over sheffield.

There has been quite a few landlords/managers been taken to court and convicted for watering beer, even though the casks are sealed, where there's a will there's a way

Why didn`t you complain? And why have a second pint?!

As mentioned prior....i gave them the benefit of doubt that the pipes may still have had water in from being cleaned...against my better judgement i tried a second.....

I collared the lad behind the bar and asked who was in charge,and told him he was watering his beer down, all behind the bar dismissed the claim as rubbish.

I pointed out that i had many many beers in my lifetime, and that i had drank John Smiths all over the place....and you can say what you like, but i know that beer is watered down.......the Amstel lager i tried didnt taste much better, that also tasted weak, but i didnt want t kick off about that, although i guessed it was watered down.....but the Beer...without doubt was watered, i gave it my partner to taste, and she said "it tastes just like water"

:suspect::suspect::suspect:

As mentioned prior....i gave them the benefit of doubt that the pipes may still have had water in from being cleaned...against my better judgement i tried a second.....

I collared the lad behind the bar and asked who was in charge,and told him he was watering his beer down, all behind the bar dismissed the claim as rubbish.

I pointed out that i had many many beers in my lifetime, and that i had drank John Smiths all over the place....and you can say what you like, but i know that beer is watered down.......the Amstel lager i tried didnt taste much better, that also tasted weak, but i didnt want t kick off about that, although i guessed it was watered down.....but the Beer...without doubt was watered, i gave it my partner to taste, and she said "it tastes just like water"

:suspect::suspect::suspect:

topical excuse they give the excise people along with, the draymen have left water in the tank, draymen clean the tanks out in a pub, landlords/ managers are not supposed to have access to the tanks.

There has been quite a few landlords/managers been taken to court and convicted for watering beer, even though the casks are sealed, where there's a will there's a way

Courage John Smiths is normally an 11 gallon keg and pressurised, quite easy to release the pressure and take out the central spear if you know what you are doing and have the right tool, very dangerous if you don't. Generally it's not worth the trouble to make a gallon, heavy fines by trading standards and loss of business and job if you are caught. Watered down beers go flat quickly, so that's always an indication, but not always as plastic glasses make beers go flat; similar to inverted optic spirit bottles have condensation in the top of the bottle if they have been 'hammered', so if you're going to do that don't put them on the optic! Vermouth goes oily and port and sherry go hazy.

It is a myth that trading standards only work during the weekdays.

Not that I've ever indulged in these practice's but having worked in the holiday pub business, I know plenty who have.

I'd be more worried about food issues, I know practices that would make your toes curl.

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 13:04 ----------

topical excuse they give the excise people along with, the draymen have left water in the tank, draymen clean the tanks out in a pub, landlords/ managers are not supposed to have access to the tanks.

Crikey, you're going back a bit ... tank beer? The tanks were polythene lined so could not be contaminated and very unlikely to have been watered down as you'd have to take the whole tank to bits.

Thankfully tank beer is no longer with us, good riddance.