What will be the 'collectables' of tomorrow?

I was wondering, as I tend to do. What will be today's everyday objects which might become collectable in years to come.

We see stuff in antiques fayres and on the TV and so on, and being a certain age, often think to myself..Hell... I used to have one of those, or my mom and dad had one. It makes me feel old!

In this seemingly 'throw away' society we live in now, I wonder what will become the sought after collection pieces of tomorrow. Apart from of course stuff that's expensive already in the present.

I think a lot of the stuff we see on Bargain Hunt and Antique Roadshow were hand made or painted individually. A lot of stuff from the 60,s onward has been mass produced and printed. But saying that, you can get a set of Wade pigs on ebay now for peanuts, where a 1970,s orange plastic moon TV will cost a fortune. Im thinking that supply has a lot to do with it.

There was quite a good article on Star Wars Toys it just reminded me from the pictures of what toys used to be like and their displays. For soem reason it reminded me of Redgates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34799193

I've got an original Thunderbird 3 die cast toy. I've not had it since I was a kid, but remember dreaming about owning one when I was a tot...I found this on ebay and can't believe someone wants £165 for it. Mine's not in a box, and it's green, but mine had a 'proper' die cast Thunderbird 4 in it's cargo cradle, not the cheap and nasty plastic one in the listing.

I think 'toys' of some sort will be collectible in the future...But I wonder what else! Crockery? Furniture? Ornaments? Commemoration trinkets? Coinage?

Like you im not too sure the perfumes have logevity, i would suppose that if sealed it prevents them from evaporating. I know the older perfumes were different to the ones we have today and were more a frangranced oil rather than alcohol based.

I would think that anything has the potential to become a collectable but there are a few factors that determine it such as rarity of the item and the future popularity.

If you can get in and bag something relating to a film or music artist before they boom then youre on to a pretty safe bet but its hard to spot.

Young artists (in the picture sense) work is a gamble because who can guage if their fame will be long lived or fleeting,if it appears at all.

The rule of thumb seems to be to buy things you like and then at least you had the pleasure of owning them if they become collectable or not.

High end and well made stuff by a popular manufacturer is usually a safer bet.

I've got an original Thunderbird 3 die cast toy. I've not had it since I was a kid, but remember dreaming about owning one when I was a tot...I found this on ebay and can't believe someone wants £165 for it. Mine's not in a box, and it's green, but mine had a 'proper' die cast Thunderbird 4 in it's cargo cradle, not the cheap and nasty plastic one in the listing.

I think 'toys' of some sort will be collectible in the future...But I wonder what else! Crockery? Furniture? Ornaments? Commemoration trinkets? Coinage?

Theres a lot of money in nostalgia ebay is awesome to get access to what people have in their attics. longlasting longevity as said above its whats already collectable now. the only new one I can think of has been old technology i.e original apple macs etc.

I think a lot of the stuff we see on Bargain Hunt and Antique Roadshow were hand made or painted individually. A lot of stuff from the 60,s onward has been mass produced and printed. But saying that, you can get a set of Wade pigs on ebay now for peanuts, where a 1970,s orange plastic moon TV will cost a fortune. Im thinking that supply has a lot to do with it.

Yes I agree a lot of the stuff was hand painted...and today it's just knocked out wholesale by someone in China.....However...Back in the day, we thought all that stuff was a bit tat really. I remember as a child having a mechanical monkey which you would wind up and it clashed 2 cymbals together and moved...It was basically a bit of tat...But if you had one today, I'm pretty sure it would be quite valuable.

You never quite know!

Yes I agree a lot of the stuff was hand painted...and today it's just knocked out wholesale by someone in China.....However...Back in the day, we thought all that stuff was a bit tat really. I remember as a child having a mechanical monkey which you would wind up and it clashed 2 cymbals together and moved...It was basically a bit of tat...But if you had one today, I'm pretty sure it would be quite valuable.

You never quite know!

I remember my nan having one of those!!

Won`t the value of them have dropped now? I don`t think there are any analogue chanels being transmitted now.

Old handheld games are getting more collectable but based on current condition and their popularity at the time. The old handheld nintendo stuff like donkey kong etc and astrowars which i had as a kid is popular (as long as you didnt let the batteries leak!)

I think stuff that just pre mp3 and high end has a chance such as minidisk players by aiwa or sony.

Have you seen the price of an old chrome c90 casette these days!!

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 16:52 ----------

Won`t the value of them have dropped now? I don`t think there are any analogue chanels being transmitted now.

You can still connect some freeview recievers to them.