What will be the 'collectables' of tomorrow?

Won`t the value of them have dropped now? I don`t think there are any analogue chanels being transmitted now.

I dont know. A lot of this retro stuff is bought by interior designers. That Drew fella on TV buys a lot of similar stuff for display.

I tend to wander about antique a collectors fayre's and it's like reliving my childhood...Seeing stuff that was kicking about my house when I was a lad.

I remember my mom bought an old chain-mail type purse from a jumble sale for a few old pennies...On occasions I used to play with it, and keep stuff in it...I thought nothing of it, it was just there, and available, so I played with it. God knows what that's worth these days...

That's just the point...things you think are pretty much worthless 'now'...Might turn out to be tomorrows 'must have' items...It's an odd world.

Yes I agree a lot of the stuff was hand painted...and today it's just knocked out wholesale by someone in China.....However...Back in the day, we thought all that stuff was a bit tat really. I remember as a child having a mechanical monkey which you would wind up and it clashed 2 cymbals together and moved...It was basically a bit of tat...But if you had one today, I'm pretty sure it would be quite valuable.

You never quite know!

I've seen some Japanese plastic battery toys from the 60s and 70s go for a good price on TV. When you mention the stuff we've all thrown away, we slung all our kids toys and teddy bears from the 60s just before toys like them started appearing on TV auction shows.

We also threw a box full (about 12 pairs) of my misuses stiletto heels from the same period, all unmarked, I've been told they're worth a few bob now.

If we knew what would become collectable, it wouldn't be very collectable as we'd all collect the same colletables.

However, you can bet your bottom dollar on tech becoming collectable. The first iPod, iPhone, iPad for starters. Probably certain consoles (Playstation, NES, SNES, Xbox). Particular mobile phones are already collectable, the Nokia 9000, certain Eriksson's and so on.

Furniture wise there is a strong case for a number of modern classics, although this country doesn't seem too interested, there is a whole host of cool and funky Dutch, Danish, Italian and Swedish design (and no, not sold by IKEA, and yes, some IKEA stuff could well become collectable).

There are a few cars that are bound to become classics as well. Odd as it sounds I think the first Audi TT series is a candidate, there are several others, depending on place and time. In most of the continent certain Twingo's (1st gen) will be considered collectable like the Fiat 500 first gen is now.

There are tonnes and tonnes of sports memorabilia, even if we aren't as mad about them now, certainly compared to the Americans. But wouldn't you love to have the final ball that won the 2015 Ashes for England? The shirt of Joao as he scores the promotion clinching goal at Wembley in 2016?

If we knew what would become collectable, it wouldn't be very collectable as we'd all collect the same colletables.

However, you can bet your bottom dollar on tech becoming collectable. The first iPod, iPhone, iPad for starters. Probably certain consoles (Playstation, NES, SNES, Xbox). Particular mobile phones are already collectable, the Nokia 9000, certain Eriksson's and so on.

Furniture wise there is a strong case for a number of modern classics, although this country doesn't seem too interested, there is a whole host of cool and funky Dutch, Danish, Italian and Swedish design (and no, not sold by IKEA, and yes, some IKEA stuff could well become collectable).

There are a few cars that are bound to become classics as well. Odd as it sounds I think the first Audi TT series is a candidate, there are several others, depending on place and time. In most of the continent certain Twingo's (1st gen) will be considered collectable like the Fiat 500 first gen is now.

There are tonnes and tonnes of sports memorabilia, even if we aren't as mad about them now, certainly compared to the Americans. But wouldn't you love to have the final ball that won the 2015 Ashes for England? The shirt of Joao as he scores the promotion clinching goal at Wembley in 2016?

Somebody in the pub at dinner time said he was going to Everton, if he does that shirt will be rare.

When I was younger, I started to collect LED and LCD watches (first time round!) as well as a few other types.

I had quite a few, but were 'lost' some years ago in a house move. :(

Still remaining though is an original Swatch Watch from the eighties, which, being rare at the time, is pretty valuable now.

I do have a collection of all the mobile phones I've ever owned (apart from a Motorola Razr), many of them still with all the packaging, chargers etc, believing that one day they'd become collectable. My favourite is the rare Motorola V3688 'flip phone', shown here in one of my oil paintings, which is an update of Rossetti's 'Snowdrops' (unfinished). The phone still has the peel-off protective screen cover in place (not in painting), and is as new (works well too!)

As a rule now, I always save packaging for any new gizmo (plus the gizmo itself), be it a watch or phone as I think most of this sort of stuff just gets junked normally. :)

I know that trying to find an original Sheffield made pocket knife built back in the days when Sheffield ruled the world in the cutlery trade was next to impossible to find. Ebay uk was useless due to their ban on blades, most charity shops won't accept them. I ended up contacting various friend in the USA to bid on my behalf for items listed on eBay.com. It's ironic that what made Sheffield world famous is now next to impossible to find here.

Please don't confuse the modern Sheffield made stuff with the real McCoy - most of it is stamped out in China before arriving here for its "made in Shef....." Stamp.

Also don't overlook old Sheffield plate. In fact anything that's vintage and complete should be collectible in years to come.

When I was younger, I started to collect LED and LCD watches (first time round!) as well as a few other types.

I had quite a few, but were 'lost' some years ago in a house move. :(

Still remaining though is an original Swatch Watch from the eighties, which, being rare at the time, is pretty valuable now.

I do have a collection of all the mobile phones I've ever owned (apart from a Motorola Razr), many of them still with all the packaging, chargers etc, believing that one day they'd become collectable. My favourite is the rare Motorola V3688 'flip phone', shown here in one of my oil paintings, which is an update of Rossetti's 'Snowdrops' (unfinished). The phone still has the peel-off protective screen cover in place (not in painting), and is as new (works well too!)

As a rule now, I always save packaging for any new gizmo (plus the gizmo itself), be it a watch or phone as I think most of this sort of stuff just gets junked normally. :)

I'm afraid I'm guilty of binning packaging and boxes..(in single use carrier bags? :) )...It drives me insane keeping stuff like that!...So I strongly suspect, anything I've hung on to over the years will be of much lesser value than if I had kept the packaging...I mean I'd have a house full of empty boxes, had I held on to it all.

Edited by PeteMorris