Do you keep your central heating on over night?

We can set it to go off when we go to bed and to come on just before we get up in the morning.

Can't everyone?:confused:

Depends how good your timer/boiler control unit is.

I think you can buy a generic unit from a shop and (have an electrician) hook it upto most boilers.

I keep my central heating on all the time on around 18C. My theory is that the central heating doesn't have to come on for a prolonged period to heat a cold house in the morning, it just comes on every so often to maintain the temperature. With my house being very well insulated - it doesn't come on that often.

Ours is set to come on in the early morning for an hour or so, so it's warm for getting up, then again for an hour or so in the afternoon so it's warm for the dog when she gets dropped back at home after her walk (mollycoddled I know but she could potentially be wet and cold)

The rest of the time we just light the stove in the living room so it's really nice and warm in there but cool in the rest of the house, as I don't like it being too warm for going to bed.

Ours is set to come on in the early morning for an hour or so, so it's warm for getting up, then again for an hour or so in the afternoon so it's warm for the dog when she gets dropped back at home after her walk (mollycoddled I know but she could potentially be wet and cold)

The rest of the time we just light the stove in the living room so it's really nice and warm in there but cool in the rest of the house, as I don't like it being too warm for going to bed.

Ooooh a stove. I'm jealous of people with fires or wood burners. Keep trying to think where we could put one in our house but it's a fairly new build so not too practical. I'd love one though!

Ooooh a stove. I'm jealous of people with fires or wood burners. Keep trying to think where we could put one in our house but it's a fairly new build so not too practical. I'd love one though!

But the cost of having someone climb on the roof to remove the cap from the old chimney pot must be expensive.

Edited by poppet2

I`ve heard it said that it is waste to have it on through the night while in bed. If cold in bed the way to go is more layers on the bed. If -7 degrees was forcast like we had a few years ago,I would leave CH on and would set the room thermostat to 10 or 12 while in bed just to stop the pipes in the loft from freezing.

They are not numbers from your room thermostat are they, I mean such as 0 degrees up to 30 degrees max?

Don't modern boilers have a frost setting on nowadays? I thought that kicked in when the temperature of the water dropped to a certain level.

Don't modern boilers have a frost setting on nowadays? I thought that kicked in when the temperature of the water dropped to a certain level.

Yes. A frost stat is pretty standard these days.

My boiler is located in the garage, and one frost stat detects air temp and the other one detects water temp. The min setting of these stats is 5 degrees, and during the winter the boiler is always triggered to come on due to the low temps. For about 5 or 10 minutes at a time (depending on how low the temp is) water will be circulated through the boiler and pipes in the immediate vicinity as the purpose is to protect the boiler. But, not circulated around the whole house (which would rise up to the loft).

To protect the pipes in the loft I leave the room thermostat set at the desired temp for this, and the controls in the house set in the on position ready to kick in if the internal temp drops too much.