Do you keep your central heating on over night?

All this thread seems to be confirming is that people from Yorkshire are indeed tight :D

I'm a nesh southerner, and I work from home a lot. However, even I've only put the heating on for a couple of days this autumn so far it's been more than mild enough.

That's just it, it's far milder down south.

---------- Post added 18-11-2015 at 22:28 ----------

I woke up this morning with a right dab on.

Eh, what's that?!!! :suspect::huh:

I can't believe so many people only have their heating on for a couple of hours or less a day. Ours has been on at least 3 or 4 hours a day since early October. Even then we still get condensation on upvc double glazed Windows, and despite extractor fans in all bathrooms and the kitchen. A house with the heating on an hour or day must be drowning in condensation?!

Warm air holds moisture.

Warm air hitting a cold surface (window) causes condensation.

Therefore it follows....less heat, less condensation.

Difficult to achieve in summer.

We have a system of fans and open windows which gives us good updraught of hot air out through the roofline windows in the attic so although the house does get hot, it's for as short a spell as possible.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 00:44 ----------

I can't believe so many people only have their heating on for a couple of hours or less a day. Ours has been on at least 3 or 4 hours a day since early October. Even then we still get condensation on upvc double glazed Windows, and despite extractor fans in all bathrooms and the kitchen. A house with the heating on an hour or day must be drowning in condensation?!

No- we keep windows open to allow airing of bedrooms and bathroom in all but the very coldest of weather and that, along with lots of air bricks, allows the interior air to remain as dry as possible. The only time we have condensation anywhere is when I've got a pan of pasta or similar on the boil, and there is no mould apart from the usual stuff that gradually discolours the grouting around the bath.

I would suggest that you need to have more ventilation to allow the air in your house to dry out. We exhale an awful lot of moisture which needs ventilation to prevent the humidity inside becoming much higher than it should be. Wet air is harder to heat than dry air too, so a good airing once or twice a day actually reduces heating bills, as well as reducing humidity and condensation problems.

Warm air holds moisture.

Warm air hitting a cold surface (window) causes condensation.

Therefore it follows....less heat, less condensation.

No, that's not how relative humidity works. With the same amount of moisture in the air, a warmer room has lower relative humidity than a cold one. Heat, moisture reduction and ventilation are the factors to reduce condensation, not cold.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 12:34 ----------

We have a system of fans and open windows which gives us good updraught of hot air out through the roofline windows in the attic so although the house does get hot, it's for as short a spell as possible.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 00:44 ----------

No- we keep windows open to allow airing of bedrooms and bathroom in all but the very coldest of weather and that, along with lots of air bricks, allows the interior air to remain as dry as possible. The only time we have condensation anywhere is when I've got a pan of pasta or similar on the boil, and there is no mould apart from the usual stuff that gradually discolours the grouting around the bath.

I would suggest that you need to have more ventilation to allow the air in your house to dry out. We exhale an awful lot of moisture which needs ventilation to prevent the humidity inside becoming much higher than it should be. Wet air is harder to heat than dry air too, so a good airing once or twice a day actually reduces heating bills, as well as reducing humidity and condensation problems.

We do have air bricks, 3 extractor fans, and a permanently open bathroom window (locked vented). I think you're right though, more central needed, but even now opening bedroom windows leaves the rooms so cold it's hard to do.

My CH doesn't have a separate theromostat...But it does have a frost setting, so I leave it on that...I can't stand a closed bedroom window so that is always open at night..Yes it gets cold and just lately the wind noise has been a bit troublesome, but it's still opened.

you are not the only one wondering, c'mon whats it mean?

Well....Judging by the rest of the post, I'd say it was a 'bit of a sweat' on....Seems he likes it cold...(ish)

At least that's the least explicit version that comes to mind :suspect:

Never heard it expressed like that though.

Well....Judging by the rest of the post, I'd say it was a 'bit of a sweat' on....Seems he likes it cold...(ish)

At least that's the least explicit version that comes to mind :suspect:

Never heard it expressed like that though.

Give that man a prize:).

It is indeed being overly warm or having a sweat on.

I find it hard to believe that others have not heard that term before.

I thought it was a northern term, unless it is a term I obtained from my 22 years in the forces.