Woodbine cigarettes

In my early smoking days (thankfully long behind me now) I used to like "Cadets" and "Kensitas" - we used to nick them from the paper shop. Mom always smoked Woodies, Dad went from Parkies to No 6 (tipped) in the 60s, in the hope that tipped cggies wouldn't kill him.

They did!

-------------

hi bushbaby, i tried the odd fag at 9yrs young and that was it,

then starting senior school where lads dared you to have a fag,

it did get to me and stated up 1956/7.

i was smoking parkdrives i hated the woodbines, i use to chop fire wood

and put them in little bungles and sell them at 3d.

that got me my money for my ciggies, i when onto smoking no6 /no10s

then park drive tips, then roll ups golden virgina--old horburn.

hey,,not for getting them joysticks.

we bought them at a shop on earl marshall rd sheffield 4.

anyway, then was smoking whatever cheapest,---then i had this

bad cough and chest infections over a few years, so i went on patches

from doctors and that was it ---will be 4yrs next may when i stopped,

and i feel great after 50 odd years , yuppy--feeling fantastic.

when someone lights a fag up, i cant stand the smell,

but pipe tobaco i just love that smell--<< cor>> bloody smashing.

Does anyone remember 'Dominoes'? Four for sixpence and if you were lucky the shop keeper used to put a few matches in with them. These cigs were in an open ended paper pack with the markings of a dominoe on the back. All different.

My goodness, I had almost forgotten Domino fags. As you say they came in an open-ended paper pack, brown & yellow I think, and you could cut out the dominos from the back, paste them on to cardboard and make up a full set. They sold them at Ashforth's tobacconists in Hillsborough; that must have been about 1958.

We used to buy dried raspberry leaves from Styran's herbalists (10½d for 2 ounces) and roll cigarettes from them. I started selling them at school until I got caught and put in detention..:(

There used to be a small tobacconist down Bradfield Road that was a treasure trove for the smoker, it was a typical shop of it's time, the fifties/sixties small but all available space was used to display their wares, and what a selection, it would put today's supermarkets to shame. I used to experiment with different brands in the early sixties and bought many a exotic cig from this establishment, most have been named but here's some that seem to have been overlooked. I am really suprised nobody has mentioned the infamous your never alone with a "Strand" "Guards" very popular down south never caught on up here "De Rezke" "Sobrannie Cocktail" with the different coloured papers "Churchman's No 5" and "More" also the American brands "Herbert Tareton" "Fifth Avenue" and "Chesterfield's"

I used to smoke Park Drive Tipped. They quite thoughtfully sold them in 5's in the newsagent at Lowedges Terminus, just so that school kids could also afford them!

Yes i use to buy a packet of 5 from a hole in the wall shop I think it was accross from Walker & Halls factory or Mapin & Webbs, I worked at both.

Archived