Long lost school friend

rohsgran

I was wondering if anyone reading this knows of Iris Wheeler that was. We went to Owler Lane intermediate School in the 1940s and she lived on Ellesmere Road. She married Jack Bell who was injured whilst fighting in the Korean war, and he died as a result of his injuries whilst still very young. I last saw her in the 1960s and often think about her.

Hi rohsgran - do you know if Iris remarried? I mention this as Jack evidently died in 1959 aged 27 (the same age as Iris, who was born in July-September 1932) and an Iris Bell married a Terrance A. Hurst in Sheffield in 1961. If this is the right Iris, then there might possibly be sad news, as an Iris Hurst died in Sheffield in 2006, her date of birth being given in the index as 23 August 1932.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Hillsbro

I really appreciate your reply regarding Iris but I am so sad that I never got to see her again. It is the same Iris and we were born about three weeks apart, her birth date being 22 August 1932. We were very good friends during our teenage years but somehow drifted apart when we both married. She had a daughter Susan and a son Ian as I remember. I also remember someone telling me years ago that she had remarried someone called Hurst. During my trips into Sheffield city centre I have often scanned the crowds hoping I might catch a glimpse of her such was my wish to see her again. Once again thank you so much for your reply. By the way, did you know her at all?

Rohsgran

Hi rohsgran - I'm so sorry to be "the bearer of sad news" but at least you now know that your old school friend passed away a few years ago. I didn't know her - I just subscribe to family history websites (giving access to online records) and have a little experience in tracing people.

Iris and Jack did indeed have a daughter, Susan C. Bell born in 1950 and a son, Ian J. Bell born in 1956. Ian may well be the Ian J. Bell who married a Barbara E. Strout in Sheffield in 1974, with children John and Sarah born in 1975 and 1979 respectively.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi again Hillsbro,

You are right I now know that she is no longer with us. Do you know if it would be possible to track down her son or daughter. Although I have been a computer user for many years I have never really got into trying to trace anyone before. By the way a typing error - her birthday was 23 August not 22nd as I put.

Thanks again

Rohsgran

Hi rohsgran - I'm so sorry to be "the bearer of sad news" but at least you now know that your old school friend passed away a few years ago. I didn't know her - I just subscribe to family history websites (giving access to online records) and have a little experience in tracing people.

Iris and Jack did indeed have a daughter, Susan C. Bell born in 1950 and a son, Ian J. Bell born in 1956. Ian may well be the Ian J. Bell who married a Barbara E. Strout in Sheffield in 1974, with children John and Sarah born in 1975 and 1979 respectively.

Hillsbro you have more info than an encyclopidia

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

...Do you know if it would be possible to track down her son or daughter....
I actually began to look for them. Firstly, looking at the electoral roll I cannot find an Ian J. Bell or a Susan C. Bell in Sheffield, nor can I find a local marriage for Susan C. Bell. As I previously wrote, the 1974 marriage of Ian J. Bell and Barbara E. Strout could well be the right Ian Bell, but I cannot find an Ian J. & Barbara E. Bell sharing an address in the UK. :|
Hillsbro you have more info than an encyclopidia...
Aw - Mrs Hillsbro just thinks I'm a harmless old eccentric but - bless her - she tolerates my eccentricities! :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Smary

I thought you might like to know that I wrote to the address which you gave me and addressed it to the occupier as you suggested. The following day a lady rang me to say that she had bought the house from Ian Bell in 2006 (the year Iris died) but didn't have a forwarding address for him. All she could tell me was that he had moved to Ilkley.

Thanks again for your help.

Rohsgran