Parents to pay £50 towards school running costs.

They may be running the school prudently and are now squeezed by cuts, or they may be running the school lavishly kitting it out with Macbooks and loads of subsidised holidays.

There isn't enough in the article to draw a sensible conclusion either way, but I'm sure that won't stop the usual suspects.

Quite so.

The schools funding formula is a mess. You may as well allocate funding at random.

Some schools can afford a big stack of iPads and such, others are struggling.

Let's not forget though that even accounting for inflation, schools funding is still very high in historical terms.

How does a flat budget take into account of rising costs? So maybe last year they were within their budget, but this year they've got a choice to either lower their service or ask of a contribution.

I'm guess that the grammar school thinks that the parents of their children would rather maintain standards, and pay a contribution than stay within their budget and lower standards.

The school is more than likely wasting money in some areas, so better financial management would mean the school would stay in budget without lowering standards . There was a report earlier in the year that some schools were wasting money on consultants to try to get better Ofsted results .

The school is more than likely wasting money in some areas, so better financial management would mean the school would stay in budget without lowering standards . There was a report earlier in the year that some schools were wasting money on consultants to try to get better Ofsted results .

Maybe if poor Ousted results didn't mean the senior leadership team's jobs didn't come under threat, then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue for the school?

Just for the sake of argument though, what if the school has done as you've asked and become as efficient as possible, how is meant to deal with rising costs?

Maybe if poor Ousted results didn't mean the senior leadership team's jobs didn't come under threat, then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue for the school?

Just for the sake of argument though, what if the school has done as you've asked and become as efficient as possible, how is meant to deal with rising costs?

That's a tough one.

Public sector organisations make false pleas of poverty so often that I doubt they'd be believed. Except by those who automatically believe such things.

Senior leaders should have some skin in the success of their schools and I can see no alternative plan on the table as to how schools should be monitored.

Inspections and league tables create some perverse incentives, but more good ones. It's better than just leaving bad schools failing students year after year.

That's a tough one.

Public sector organisations make false pleas of poverty so often that I doubt they'd be believed. Except by those who automatically believe such things.

Senior leaders should have some skin in the success of their schools and I can see no alternative plan on the table as to how schools should be monitored.

Inspections and league tables create some perverse incentives, but more good ones. It's better than just leaving bad schools failing students year after year.

I'm not arguing for or against Ousted. I'm just saying that if people's jobs depend on good Ofsted results, then follows that the school would use it's resources to attain those results.

We've had a good period of either spending cuts within the public sector or frozen budgets for a good while. Public sector is getting more efficient. There has to be a tipping point when it has to effect the core services.

I'm not arguing for or against Ousted. I'm just saying that if people's jobs depend on good Ofsted results, then follows that the school would use it's resources to attain those results.

We've had a good period of either spending cuts within the public sector or frozen budgets for a good while. Public sector is getting more efficient. There has to be a tipping point when it has to effect the core services.

I think we're a long way from that.

Correcting for inflation, school spending is now at 2003 levels

As a percentage of GDP, school spending is at 2000 levels.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn121.pdf