Parents to pay £50 towards school running costs.

Or possibly the levels of efficiency from that period?

Anybody noticed a big improvement in the standard of education since 2000?

What were the average grades then compared to now? We seem to insist on rising grades each year, also is it possible to compare key stage results?

What were the average grades then compared to now? We seem to insist on rising grades each year, also is it possible to compare key stage results?

I don't know.

1997-2010 was a period of high grade inflation. It's very difficult to tell whether we were actually churning out smarter kids.

I don't know.

1997-2010 was a period of high grade inflation. It's very difficult to tell whether we were actually churning out smarter kids.

Ok, it will be difficult to prove, but you get my point.

Another thing to consider, is would the country be happy if the schools went back to their turn of the century facilities, or have expectations risen?

Ok, it will be difficult to prove, but you get my point.

Another thing to consider, is would the country be happy if the schools went back to their turn of the century facilities, or have expectations risen?

What do they need now that they didn't have then?

I thought that they already had substantial IT facilities. Can't think of much else.

Expectations may need to be adjusted anyway. The spending increases of the noughties were unsustainable. I don't think the education sector really suffers from cost inflation above standard inflation measures the way the healthcare sector does.

One thing to consider is that kids are no longer leaving at 16. Schools covering the 16-18 age range would therefore have higher costs. Although I think spending per pupil is also running roughly flat (slightly increasing). I haven't found any clear figures on this yet.

What do they need now that they didn't have then?

I thought that they already had substantial IT facilities. Can't think of much else.

Expectations may need to be adjusted anyway. The spending increases of the noughties were unsustainable. I don't think the education sector really suffers from cost inflation above standard inflation measures the way the healthcare sector does.

One thing to consider is that kids are no longer leaving at 16. Schools covering the 16-18 age range would therefore have higher costs. Although I think spending per pupil is also running roughly flat (slightly increasing). I haven't found any clear figures on this yet.

The new facilities need maintaining though, if that be IT technicians or some other maintenance needs. It must also be noted that as you suggested some of the rise in the education budget must have been spent on keeping the 16-18 years in education.

Another thing occurred to me, are the staffing levels the same as they were at the turn of the century? I'd suggest that there is a much lower pupil to teacher ratio now.

The new facilities need maintaining though, if that be IT technicians or some other maintenance needs. It must also be noted that as you suggested some of the rise in the education budget must have been spent on keeping the 16-18 years in education.

Another thing occurred to me, are the staffing levels the same as they were at the turn of the century? I'd suggest that there is a much lower pupil to teacher ratio now.

I think that's right. The report I linked to earlier makes mention of that.

Staff numbers are very high. TAs on top of teachers.

According to http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk, secondary school spending is still rising, primary school spending is holding steady and higher education spending is falling. I guess that some of the money saved by introducing higher tuition fees is being spent on secondary schools.

The overall picture with school spending per pupil seems to be slightly above flat spending increases in cash terms, which will likely amount to slightly below flat after inflation.

It's not ideal, but it's starting from a very high base, so it really should be manageable without a significant drop in standards.

I think that's right. The report I linked to earlier makes mention of that.

Staff numbers are very high. TAs on top of teachers.

According to http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk, secondary school spending is still rising, primary school spending is holding steady and higher education spending is falling. I guess that some of the money saved by introducing higher tuition fees is being spent on secondary schools.

The overall picture with school spending per pupil seems to be slightly above flat spending increases in cash terms, which will likely amount to slightly below flat after inflation.

It's not ideal, but it's starting from a very high base, so it really should be manageable without a significant drop in standards.

Another factor would be SEN. SEN is taken a lot more seriously nowadays with more time money and effort made to fulfil the needs associated with providing an education to SEN pupils.

Ok, I admit all I am doing is providing suggestions, but I think I have provided a reasonable case for where the increase in education spending has being spent.