Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

If you cant keep your staff happy, then the ones who stay will be less motivated, whilst others will quit the profession or go and work elsewhere. Dr's skills are highly transferable. Thats why heaps of them are leaving, which leaves a shortfall of Drs in the UK and we have to go and recruit foreign Drs.

Edited by 999tigger

If you cant keep your staff happy, then the ones who stay will be less motivated, whilst others will quit the profession or go and work elsewhere.

You have to remember the importance of medicine being an international profession. That way, if a certain country has a way of doing things better it's easier to import that practice.

To do this you have to offer employment that encourages foreign doctors to come and work here. To have an employer stamp allover the part of their workforce that they cannot do without doe send a disturbing message all over the world.

Once again, you're missing the point of the argument. It isn't that the doctors have to work long hours, it's that they're going to get paid less for working their long hours and they believe that the removal of safeguards that limited the hours that junior doctors worked will have an effect on patient safety

Exactly right :nod:

If you cant keep your staff happy, then the ones who stay will be less motivated, whilst others will quit the profession or go and work elsewhere. Dr's skills are highly transferable. Thats why heaps of them are leaving, which leaves a shortfall of Drs in the UK and we have to go and recruit foreign Drs.

What have they done when they left? If there are heaps of them, that should be an easy answer, to something I don't know.

I was arguing that it is not unusual for different professions and trades to get paid different rates on 9pm Saturday then 9am Tuesday. Paramedics and police officers also do.

Whilst I agree with most of your input in this thread the above is not true in the case of paramedics, I dont know about police.

Your analogy is from the schoolyard. Are plumbers an essential service with no competition? No.

Doctors are essential and there is no choice of service. Or are you actually saying that doctors are like plumbers?

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 13:54 ----------

I work longer hours than doctors but I've never felt the need to withhold my services even though they aren't essential.

Doctors shouldn't be allowed to go on strike if they really are an essential service.

Is that why your always in here Eric, doing piece work? Do the Conservative Party pay you for each time you troll a thread :hihi:

They all form part of a system, even the dispensing pharmacist if dicing with death if they prescribe the wrong drugs, etc, etc...

That's an assumption on your behalf, how incorrect you are! Even worse you have the audacity and where with all to tell me what I think and try to force it on me. Yup you sound like some slave owning snob, you should be ashamed of yourself!

Eric's no slave owing snob. Not rich enough. Though he'd like to be ;)

Whilst I agree with most of your input in this thread the above is not true in the case of paramedics, I dont know about police.

I know about similar occurrences.

It's the same arguments I've seen in the past - Workers of the state not wanting their water-tight 'overtime' rates being tampered with, is what it all boils down to, IMO. All this hyperbole about 'more deaths on a Tuesday', AND 'patients will DIE if the Tories stay in' is just tosh, as is the TORY retort that it's not to save money.

They [Junior Doctors] have an advantage though because they are highly trained and much harder to cover. It won't last*. They're perhaps 20 years ahead of the steel workers and coal miners.

I saw it at nationalised British Gas, Yorkshire Water and British Telecom. They would strike because Sundays would no longer be getting double pay, a day in lieu and a £20 voucher at YEB.

-

*In the coming years, maybe 20, I expect almost every doctor in the UK to be Indian or Chinese. I think even their time is limited. There's almost certainly a 'DOCTOR' APP in the making as we speak.

I know about similar occurrences.

It's the same arguments I've seen in the past - Workers of the state not wanting their water-tight 'overtime' rates being tampered with, is what it all boils down to, IMO. All this hyperbole about 'more deaths on a Tuesday', AND 'patients will DIE if the Tories stay in' is just tosh, as is the TORY retort that it's not to save money.

They [Junior Doctors] have an advantage though because they are highly trained and much harder to cover. It won't last*. They're perhaps 20 years ahead of the steel workers and coal miners.

I saw it at nationalised British Gas, Yorkshire Water and British Telecom. They would strike because Sundays would no longer be getting double pay, a day in lieu and a £20 voucher at YEB.

-

*In the coming years, maybe 20, I expect almost every doctor in the UK to be Indian or Chinese. I think even their time is limited. There's almost certainly a 'DOCTOR' APP in the making as we speak.

Perhaps they just want a decent rate of pay and decent conditions of service. Not much to ask for such vital members of society. Don't forget, most of them will have incurred well over £100k of student debt when training.

As for a "Doctor App". It already exists. You can access it here. Simply type in your symptoms and within minutes, you will be convinced that you have days to live. A visit to your GP might well tell you otherwise. These are highly skilled professionals. Uber for Doctors is a long way off.:rolleyes:

Perhaps they just want a decent rate of pay and decent conditions of service. Not much to ask for such vital members of society. Don't forget, most of them will have incurred well over £100k of student debt when training.

What's a decent rate of pay for a Junior/ Doctor? I'd like to see this.

Just like the lefties :roll: using emotion to try win a popularity. So I'll ask again, what IS this magic £ number that is 'not too much to ask' MLAR? Give us this number! (or anyone for that matter :) )

As for a "Doctor App". It already exists. You can access it here. Simply type in your symptoms and within minutes, you will be convinced that you have days to live. A visit to your GP might well tell you otherwise. These are highly skilled professionals. Uber for Doctors is a long way off.:rolleyes:

I'm not clicking on any link you post that looks sarcastic.

Surely a fully private health care system would iron out issues like this. The NHS may be on its last legs.

Well, in 20 years it will be history, and perhaps exist purely in name.