Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

I think it would bother you to be honest. If you look at the USA system we are trying to copy it involves big (unaffordable for many) insurance payments & big out of pocket expenses as well. You will be the first to moan.

No really it wouldn't bother me, the reality though is that we are not trying to copy the USA system so its a moot point.

And with junior doctors once again, the problem is that on one hand you are trying them to a career in a specific ogasnisation while on the other hand dismantling that organisation. Explain how that will work. Give it a try........

This makes no sense because the NHS isn't been dismantled and no one is trying to dismantle it, the BMA are getting in the way of improving it though.

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 13:53 ----------

Rather than trying to 'claw back expenses,' has anybody thought about making a career in medicine such an attractive proposition that people don't want to leave?

I'm not just talking about money; a little respect and gratitude goes a long way. And as the people on the ground know most about what's going on and the problems thereof, listening to them would help.

I'm sure they could probably solve many of the problems themselves given half a chance.

I'm sure that doctors are good at being doctors, but not so good at the financial side of running the NHS, so no its very unlikely they would make a good job of it unless you give them an unlimited amount of money.

My opinion of doctors has changed after the last 3 days of my 91 year old gran been in that hellhole of an hospital in Rotherham. I have given my opinion to the "junior doctors" directly! I was very blunt as well. They just hid behind there clip boards. I told them if I ever see them on a picket line I would remind them of there incompetence during the last 3 days.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this decision by Hunt has been taken in a desperate attempt to save money, it is based upon ideology. We already spend less than other comparable countries on our healthcare, so there is scope to reorganise government spending without crippling the nations economy. If there was the desire to.

Also, in spite of what people are saying the doctors are not striking for a pay rise, amongst other things, they're striking to try to stop their take home pay being substantially cut.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this decision by Hunt has been taken in a desperate attempt to save money, it is based upon ideology. We already spend less than other comparable countries on our healthcare, so there is scope to reorganise government spending without crippling the nations economy. If there was the desire to.

Also, in spite of what people are saying the doctors are not striking for a pay rise, amongst other things, they're striking to try to stop their take home pay being substantially cut.

Who has come up with the ideas that "The Government" are wanting to put in place?

My opinion of doctors has changed after the last 3 days of my 91 year old gran been in that hellhole of an hospital in Rotherham. I have given my opinion to the "junior doctors" directly! I was very blunt as well. They just hid behind there clip boards. I told them if I ever see them on a picket line I would remind them of there incompetence during the last 3 days.

what was it that changed your opinion?

Btw it seems to have come from David Cameron in terms of the 7 day NHS, which is based on some research. The way its being implemented is down to the Health Secretary with the backing of the government. The argument seems to be less about the overall aim and more to do with how they are implementing it.

Edited by 999tigger

Care of elderly has been crap for years. It doesn't attract the brightest and best unfortunately.

Unfortunately sometimes the attitude of NHS staff toward the elderly isn't good. I don't know why this should be.

I was a care assistant many years ago, and I was sometimes appalled at the poor treatment of the elderly. I have to say it was a minority, and didn't happen all the time, as I witnessed.

Attitudes and care given to the elderly needs to be looked at - from senior management all the way up to auxiliary level.

Things can change quickly. For example where good practice exists, the treatment of those with serious mental health difficulties is fantastic, and attracts a high calibre of staff. Only a couple of decades ago, the treatment of such patients with conditions such as schizophrenia was atrocious - bordering on the criminal. And that was in Sheffield.

Edited by Mister M

Whilst I am sorry to hear this, my experience is completely the opposite, albeit at the Northern General. A couple of years ago my mum was passing away but a couple of doctors saved her. 2.5 years later, whilst not 100% she's doing ok for a lady of 83.

Love the docs and love the NHS. Thank you to anyone working there who's reading this thread, don't let the odd troll disillusion you (not aimed at the guy I'm quoting btw). You are brilliant and I'm grateful we have you :love:

My opinion of doctors has changed after the last 3 days of my 91 year old gran been in that hellhole of an hospital in Rotherham.

It would depend on what your issue with her care was? Did the 3 days happen at the weekend, and you think that is the fault of the junior doctors?

Even Hunts own team say there is no evidence it will cut deaths...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/15/weekend-effect-on-hospital-deaths-not-proven-say-hunts-own-officials

'More than 11,000 new staff are needed at weekends at hospitals in England if they are to function identically to a weekday, including 3,000 nurses and 4,000 doctors.'

Not forgetting..

Consultants DON'T have to work weekends so still not enough senior staff on to make a 7 day service.

And none of the supporting lines such as social workers community workers currently have similar contracts so nobody can manage these patients at weekends or discharge them...