Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

Even Hunts own team say there is no evidence it will cut deaths...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/15/weekend-effect-on-hospital-deaths-not-proven-say-hunts-own-officials

'More than 11,000 new staff are needed at weekends at hospitals in England if they are to function identically to a weekday, including 3,000 nurses and 4,000 doctors.'

Not forgetting..

Consultants DON'T have to work weekends so still not enough senior staff on to make a 7 day service.

And none of the supporting lines such as social workers community workers currently have similar contracts so nobody can manage these patients at weekends or discharge them...

Unless the plan is to reduce the level of service during the week and increase the level of service at weekends thereby making every day equal without additional resources.

Even Hunts own team say there is no evidence it will cut deaths...

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/15/weekend-effect-on-hospital-deaths-not-proven-say-hunts-own-officials

'More than 11,000 new staff are needed at weekends at hospitals in England if they are to function identically to a weekday, including 3,000 nurses and 4,000 doctors.'

Not forgetting..

Consultants DON'T have to work weekends so still not enough senior staff on to make a 7 day service.

And none of the supporting lines such as social workers community workers currently have similar contracts so nobody can manage these patients at weekends or discharge them...

That also means that if you can't discharge some patients, you going to struggle to admit some patients.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 09:06 ----------

Unless the plan is to reduce the level of service during the week and increase the level of service at weekends thereby making every day equal without additional resources.

The staffing levels are already at minimal levels due the funding crisis that's been hitting the NHS, there is no room to cut any more.

That also means that if you can't discharge some patients, you going to struggle to admit some patients.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 09:06 ----------

The staffing levels are already at minimal levels due the funding crisis that's been hitting the NHS, there is no room to cut any more.

Funding crisis? NHS funding grows every year.

NHS net expenditure has increased from £64.173 billion in 2003/04 to £113.300bn in 2014/15. Planned expenditure for 2015/16 is £116.574bn.

Health expenditure per capita in England has risen from £1,841 in 2009/10 to £1,994 in 2013/14.

NHS net expenditure has increased from £64.173 billion in 2003/04 to £113.300bn in 2014/15. Planned expenditure for 2015/16 is £116.574bn.

Health expenditure per capita in England has risen from £1,841 in 2009/10 to £1,994 in 2013/14.

Do you know what the government spending per capita is in the US? This is money the government pays on top of the insurance contributions paid. Go and look it up if you think the NHS is not having a funding crisis.

I suspect you won't bother so here is it:

$4,589.0 per person. Based on todays interest rate that's £3165 being spent by the US government on healthcare per person most of whom will be paying more than that again on insurance.

Lets play a game. Name a country with a healthcare system you think is better than the NHS and I'll tell you how much more money that government pays per capita to support that ours does. Lets at least keep the suggestions sensible, while I'm sure someone thinks the Syrian healthcare system rocks I don't think it's fair to include it.

To be fair, I'm not surprised that you're ignorant of the current issues facing the NHS, your posts do suggest this.

NHS spending may have increased, but not in line with health care inflation. For example just off the top of my head, newer treatments are more expensive, the population is increasing, more of us are getting ill, the population average age is getting older so all the challenges that are associated with an ageing population also puts more stain on the NHS.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

The UKs population also grows every year, but funding has not kept pace with that increase in population.

We are spending less, per person, since the Tories got in.

http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/data-and-charts/health-care-spending-person-uk

This interactive chart shows health spending per person in each of the UK countries between 2004/05 and 2010/11.

It was Labour government between those dates, the figures I posted show the per capita increase since the conservatives came to office.

Growth: In 2013, UK per capita health spending

grew 0.6% in real terms. Growth has tracked the

slow increase in OECD health spending since the

contraction in UK spending in 2010 and 2011.

 Share of GDP: The share of GDP allocated to

health spending (excluding capital expenditure)

in United Kingdom was 8.5% in 2013, compared

with an OECD average of 8.9%. This was

unchanged from 2012 and remains below the

high of 8.8% in 2010 as GDP also decreased.

From http://www.oecd.org/unitedkingdom/Country-Note-UNITED%20KINGDOM-OECD-Health-Statistics-2015.pdf

Per capita spending on health in the United

Kingdom remains below the level in 2009, when adjusted

for inflation.

In the wake of contractions in the economy and an

increasing budget deficit in 2009, there were a number

of policy responses to reduce public spending on health

across the four countries of the United Kingdom. England

NHS spending fell in real terms in 2010 and 2011 in

response to government requirements to underspend

and find productivity improvements. A two-year public

sector pay freeze was imposed until 2013, with a 2.8%

reduction in NHS staff in England between 2010 and

To be fair, I'm not surprised that you're ignorant of the current issues facing the NHS, your posts does suggest this.

NHS spending may have increased, but not in line with health care inflation. For example just of the top of my head, newer treatments are more expensive, the population is increasing, more of us are getting ill, the population average age is getting older so all the challenges that are associated with an ageing population also puts more stain on the NHS.

I know all about the problems facing the NHS and this is the reason I want more control over immigration.

I know all about the problems facing the NHS and this is the reason I want more control over immigration.

And that's relevant to this thread because? This is about why doctors are striking so unless you want to argue that they are striking because of too many immigrants then this isn't the right thread.