Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

So we can conclude then that majority aren't affected because the majority didn't vote to strike.

I'm not sure you can conclude that, as the numbers of those not balloted include those who are not in the BMA.

It is safe to conclude that those employed by the NHS, those who are affected by the new contract are against it.

I'm not sure you can conclude that, as the numbers of those not balloted include those who are not in the BMA.

It is safe to conclude that those employed by the NHS, those who are affected by the new contract are against it.

No it isn't safe to conclude that at all because the majority didn't vote to strike.

JFKvsNixon, it's clear, there is no reference to your claim. Say what you want, but you have not provided any evidence to back up your claim.

As its sits, only 1% of Junior Doctors will be worse off, unless you dispute this number, which if you do, please provide evidence to back this up.

It does seem that you've missed a couple of posts of mine, you can find the link for my quotes in your link:

You've somehow forgotten to cut and past other sections of your quote:

• But that comes at a price: other elements of the pay package are to be curbed, including what constitutes unsociable hours.
  • Day hours on a Saturday will be paid at a normal rate, while extra premiums that are being offered for night and the rest of the weekend are lower than what is currently paid.
  • Guaranteed pay increases linked to time in the job are also to be scrapped and replaced with a system linked to progression through set training stages.

Then it must've slipped you mind to quote this:

• But these changes are not just about winners and losers on day one. They have partly been designed to make it cheaper to roster extra doctors on at weekends.
  • Therefore, medics are likely to find they are working more weekends, which, under the existing contract, would have led to extra pay.
  • What is more, some of the changes will take time to have an effect. For example, the ending of guaranteed pay rises linked to time-in-the-job will mean some doctors find their pay will go up more slowly during their time as a junior medic.
  • And, of course, new doctors starting their career in the NHS under this contract may be worse off than they would have been if they started under the current deal.

Did you not think that I'd read your link?

Maybe the junior doctors have worked out that during a time when they maybe be a junior doctor for over 10 years, a three year pay protection agreement isn't of much value in the bigger picture?

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 11:25 ----------

No it isn't safe to conclude that at all because the majority didn't vote to strike.

We're going around in circles here. The majority of those who were balloted, because they were effected by the contract or in the BMA voted to strike. Obviously those who are not effected by the contract could not vote to strike over it.

For example the junior doctors in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF are employed under different contracts.

I think I covered that here:

Not really. If wanting a light week to revise is a thing, it would just mean structuring one's revision differently. At any rate it hardly constitutes a wide-spread threat to patient care.

The idea is that the existing doctors' shifts will be spread out better over the week.

NHS funding is pretty much the only state spending which has been increased in real terms continuously since 2010.

It seems that's not enough for you.

So you want yet more funding for the NHS. Okay. What taxes should we raise and/or what spending should be cut to find the money? Or are we to borrow still more?

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 11:02 ----------

Yes. They clearly want better pay and conditions than they're being offered.

Why don't they just say do?

I think you know what my stance on taxes is and where the extra money should be coming from :thumbsup:

We're going around in circles here. The majority of those who were balloted, because they were effected by the contract or in the BMA voted to strike. Obviously those who are not effected by the contract could not vote to strike over it.

For example the junior doctors in the Army, Royal Navy and RAF are employed under different contracts.

They don't work for the NHS and aren't included in the figures, in England the NHS employs around 53,000 junior doctors.

I think that it's safe to conclude that the majority of the junior doctors who are effected by the contract voted to strike, that's who were really talking about isn't it?

Out of over 37,000 doctors who were were allowed to vote were balloted, those who aren't in the BMA or those who were not effected by the contract changes did not vote. About 28,000 voted to strike and about 600 voted against, 9,000 people who received ballot papers didn't vote.

75% of all those balloted voted to strike.

I thought it was something like 99%

I thought it was something like 99%

Some 98% voted in favour of a full strike and 99% in favour of action just short of a full strike.

ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34859860

Turn out was 76% which equals 22,800 junior doctors voted in the ballet and 98% of this number voted in favour of strike action, this being 22,344. This is 74.48% of the entire 30,000 strong junior doctors voted in favour of strike action

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 13:35 ----------

If this was about pay, why would the doctors be fighting to save the NHS when they could be earning so much more privately?

How many private doctor jobs are there currently available to you think? The last I heard the threat was to go abroad to places like Australia, but many, for obvious reasons want to stay in the UK.

Some 98% voted in favour of a full strike and 99% in favour of action just short of a full strike.

ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34859860

Turn out was 76% which equals 22,800 junior doctors voted in the ballet and 98% of this number voted in favour of strike action, this being 22,344. This is 74.48% of the entire 30,000 strong junior doctors voted in favour of strike action

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 13:35 ----------

How many private doctor jobs are there currently available to you think? The last I heard the threat was to go abroad to places like Australia, but many, for obvious reasons want to stay in the UK.

But in total NHS England employs 53,000 junior doctors according to the BMA, according to that link its 55,000 and according to the Department of Health it's 60,000. So less than half voted to strike.