Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

Well maybe Hunt and crew should not have taken it all at face value and used thier own brains instead of overpaying so called experts

He won't have taken it at face value, he will have looked at it and come to the same conclusion as the experts that were appointed to come up with a safer contract, what Hunt shouldn't do is succumb to pressure from non experts and politically motivated attacks.

Genuine question this as I've not really been following this whole contract saga.

I was on the 120 bus yesterday and we pulled up outside the RHH. I saw a group of strikers outside with placards saying tired doctors make mistakes.

From my little understanding of the new contract, isnt one of the points is it's going to reduce the maximum numbers of hours a doctor can work and change shift patterns. Will this lead to doctors been more tired than what they possibly are working the current contract.

Genuine question this as I've not really been following this whole contract saga.

I was on the 120 bus yesterday and we pulled up outside the RHH. I saw a group of strikers outside with placards saying tired doctors make mistakes.

From my little understanding of the new contract, isnt one of the points is it's going to reduce the maximum numbers of hours a doctor can work and change shift patterns. Will this lead to doctors been more tired than what they possibly are working the current contract.

That's the puzzle that no one appears able to answer, just how does reducing the maximum hours and reducing the consecutive shifts make someone more tired. :huh:

My understanding is that the BMA is arguing if "outside normal" hours are now paid at the basic rate it encourages managers to work doctors longer. Whilst now they have to pay some kind of "overtime" and the BMA is arguing this discourages managers allowing doctors to work long hours due to the cost.

However I thought a major complaint from doctors was that they would no longer get this overtime. That suggests that in the current system the discouragement element is not having the desired effect anyway, and that it is normal that doctors do overtime work. If it was not the case doctors would not be complaining about losing these overtime payments?

• 4 months later...
I have just received a letter from the NHS, I have an appointment for SUNDAY 25th Sept, so some doctors already work weekends.

Ask the doc if he's on 200% or 400% of his salary for working the Sunday and if it's overtime or does he work it in lieu of a weekday. If it's overtime, ask him if the overtime bonus %age is added on to his base rate or the Sunday rate.

Then ask him if he works a Sunday for the good of the NHS and patient care.