Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

So it is not, in of itself, evidence of a doctor working at the weekend then.
Idk about other hospitals, but Rotherham General consultants certainly work duty at weekends, on a rota basis. And have done for a very long time. I strongly suspect the same applies in other hospitals and Trusts.

Source: discussions with a personal friend (for years), who has been a (very-) senior consultant (a "Mr") at RGH for longer than I've known him, and personal witnessing of his leaving functions/occasions on being duty-paged.

The myth that consultants don't work weekends or unsociable hours is just that, a myth.

After that, if you want to talk about pay and perks, just bear in mind the combination of aeons-old truisms that are "what is rare, is expensive" and "the market sets the rate".

Edited by L00b

Idk about other hospitals, but Rotherham General consultants certainly work duty at weekends, on a rota basis. And have done for a very long time. I strongly suspect the same applies in other hospitals and Trusts.

Source: personal friend (for years), who has been a (very-) senior consultant (a "Mr") at RGH for longer than I've known him.

The myth that consultants don't work weekends or unsociable hours is just that, a myth.

After that, if you want to talk about pay and perks, just bear in mind the combination of aeons-old truisms that are "what is rare, is expensive" and "the market sets the rate".

Totally agree.

Consultants, registrars and junior doctors DO work weekends - all 52 of them.

I really don't know where the myth that there aren't doctors in hospitals 24/7 came from .

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 11:34 ----------

I have just received a letter from the NHS, I have an appointment for SUNDAY 25th Sept, so some doctors already work weekends.

There are many clinics run at weekends in hospitals - not so in GP surgeries.

There are ALWAYS doctors on duty at weekends in hospitals - Consultants included.

Edited by Daven

There are ALWAYS doctors on duty at weekends in hospitals - Consultants included.

Doctors yes, but not Consultants. They are generally on call unless they are in for a specific purpose such as surgery or maternity. In my experience last year, weekends were like ghost towns in the Norther General, with junior doctors doing all the work. Consultants needed to be called in and only in an emergency. This argument is not just about doctors though, its the while system. The MRI scanner at the NG was sitting unused on weekends generally. Lab results for the general population of the hospital are unavailable on weekends too.

Doctors yes, but not Consultants. They are generally on call unless they are in for a specific purpose such as surgery or maternity. In my experience last year, weekends were like ghost towns in the Norther General, with junior doctors doing all the work. Consultants needed to be called in and only in an emergency. This argument is not just about doctors though, its the while system. The MRI scanner at the NG was sitting unused on weekends generally. Lab results for the general population of the hospital are unavailable on weekends too.

Wrong.

Lab results can easily be accessed by clinical staff via ICE and the ICE link to other local DGH's at any time - 24/7.

Also the results of Xrays and scans.

I'm surprised you don't know this .

There appear to be rather a lot of gaps in your knowledge about this subject............

Edited by Daven

• 2 weeks later...

NHS doctors told to declare income from private work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37415587

Doctors and MPs already have to declare an interest, now the MPs want doctors to go one step further.

This is just more playing politics with our NHS. I am all for everyone making their tax returns open to the public, not just doctors.

Doctors and MPs already have to declare an interest, now the MPs want doctors to go one step further.

This is just more playing politics with our NHS. I am all for everyone making their tax returns open to the public, not just doctors.

Isn't that last statement a bit contradictory? If you are all for everyone making tax returns open to the public, why do you exclude doctors?

Why?

Do you not believe that people have a right to keep their income levels/employment details and personal information private.

Its for the HMRC to know what people earn, calculate what they should pay and make sure that they collect such amount. IF and only IF someone is proven in a court of law to be deliberately underpaying what they are legally ordered to pay then public interest may arise. Prior to that is nobody else's business.

Just becuase the HMRC and Tax Ministers have failed in shutting down the loopholes and failed to keep on top of those refusing to pay does not mean that someone's entire financial disclosure needs to be out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to have a good look.

What's next? Medical Notes to compensate for failures in the NHS? Criminal Records to excuse failures by the Police?

Where would it end.

Edited by ECCOnoob