Meadowhall extension plans

http://m.propertyweek.com/news/british-land-plans-330000-sq-ft-extension-to-meadowhall/5077851.article

Well this might throw a spanner into the city centre redevelopment, or is at least a good excuse for when it doesnt happen!

(Link doesnt work so here's the text)-

British Land is set to develop a 330,000 sq ft food and leisure extension to its Meadowhall shopping Centre in Sheffield, Property Week can reveal.

The UK property giant will seek planning for the new scheme by the middle of next year, and comes on top of its £55m refurbishment of the shopping centre.

The new scheme will take the centre to a total size of more than 1.7m sq ft, and the new food and leisure extension will represent a 20% enlargement of the scheme. The extension will include a number of new restaurants, a cinema and additional leisure activities.

http://m.propertyweek.com/news/british-land-plans-330000-sq-ft-extension-to-meadowhall/5077851.article

Well this might throw a spanner into the city centre redevelopment, or is at least a good excuse for when it doesnt happen!

(Link doesnt work so here's the text)-

British Land is set to develop a 330,000 sq ft food and leisure extension to its Meadowhall shopping Centre in Sheffield, Property Week can reveal.

The UK property giant will seek planning for the new scheme by the middle of next year, and comes on top of its £55m refurbishment of the shopping centre.

The new scheme will take the centre to a total size of more than 1.7m sq ft, and the new food and leisure extension will represent a 20% enlargement of the scheme. The extension will include a number of new restaurants, a cinema and additional leisure activities.

I wouldnt have thought that more restauraunts and another cinema would affect the town centre to badly. I assume that it will be vue who will be the new cinema and so the centertainment complex would be more affected?

I'll believe it when I see it, and not a minute before.

Meadowhall (well, its owners over time) has been 'planning' that kind of development for over 20 years: there was a full architectural model of 'Bourbon Street' in the management suite foyer in 1993 or 1994.

'Bourbon Street' was to sit on and fully occupy the piece of land across Meadowhall, where Costa and Next now sit (where's BMW then? Weren't they supposed to be on there as well by now?).

It was to look pretty much like an outdoor version of the Oasis (of old), Mediterranean-themed on 2 levels with narrow streets, walkways and balconies, and just full of restaurants, bars and other leisure venues, complete with a multiscreen cinema.

Years before Virgin started knocking Centertainment together.

I try to avoid Meadowhall at all costs, and would much rather see the money invested in the City Centre. I just don't like the modern, shiny, glass construction and the sense of ubiquitous consumerism in Meadowhall, and prefer the open-air traditional feel of the town centre.

But to be fair I don't drive so don't have to incur the infamous parking costs. And also, I went to town with a friend who drives on a Sunday afternoon, and it was an absolute nightmare to find a parking space! I was definitely surprised at how congested the roads and carparks were.

I'll believe it when I see it, and not a minute before.

Meadowhall (well, its owners over time) has been 'planning' that kind of development for over 20 years: there was a full architectural model of 'Bourbon Street' in the management suite foyer in 1993 or 1994.

'Bourbon Street' was to sit on and fully occupy the piece of land across Meadowhall, where Costa and Next now sit (where's BMW then? Weren't they supposed to be on there as well by now?).

It was to look pretty much like an outdoor version of the Oasis (of old), Mediterranean-themed on 2 levels with narrow streets, walkways and balconies, and just full of restaurants, bars and other leisure venues, complete with a multiscreen cinema.

Years before Virgin started knocking Centertainment together.

Nail on the head there. Totally agree with this

I try to avoid Meadowhall at all costs, and would much rather see the money invested in the City Centre. I just don't like the modern, shiny, glass construction and the sense of ubiquitous consumerism in Meadowhall, and prefer the open-air traditional feel of the town centre.

But to be fair I don't drive so don't have to incur the infamous parking costs. And also, I went to town with a friend who drives on a Sunday afternoon, and it was an absolute nightmare to find a parking space! I was definitely surprised at how congested the roads and carparks were.

Its a lot warmer though and you don't need a raincoat.No chuggers,no parking fees,no beggars.Almost ten years since I set foot in a city centre shop.The council are usually the party poopers everytime Meadowhall wants to expand because they do not want to harm the mythical city centre shopping centre due to be built sometime this millenium.

There was going to be a swimming leisure pool on the site where Costa and Next are now

For years the Council tried to get Meadowhall to build commercial (non-retail) buildings / sell the land but they wouldn't for just this reason

Now Ikea have permission and Next won the appeal the Council can't use the City Centre argument to stop more retail around Meadowhall